Monday, May 3, 2010

Update

The end of the semester is coming swiftly and teachers begin to divide into their two types - those who make it harder for students at the end of the semester and those who make it easier. I'm generally the second type. I kind of pile the work on at the beginning of the semester to weed out the students who are less serious, but also to enable me to go a little easier at the end.

I still have plenty to do. I'll be collecting final papers/projects of one kind or another from over a hundred students in the next week or so. But, because it's the end, I don't have to comment on them or really do anything other than slap a grade on them. (Well, and read them too.) So it won't take nearly as long.

Once that's done, I'll have about a month until summer term starts up. We'll spend two weeks of the break on the road going to and from Idaho to visit my family. We plan to spend a few days in SLC going to the zoo, the church visitor's center, the Joseph Smith building, etc. Should be good.

5 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Check w/Jeff and Amy on Triple D spots along I-80 on the way to and fro.

Also the Historical site at Winters Quarters which includes the cemetary of the pioneers lost in that hard winter is especially moving and beautifully landscaped. There is a a list of those in the handcary companies which includes Thomas Jackson and Mary Eleanor Ord. Only takes about an hour-hour and a half to see.

Karen said...

So can you explain to me Mark, why there are the teachers that need to make it harder on the students at the end of term?

Mark Brown said...

I think, Karen, it's the idea that they've been practicing and honing their skills all semester long and that, at the end, they should be able to demonstrate their full range of abilities.

It is also perhaps because most English teachers have evil, evil hearts.

Linda, yes, we love the visitor center at Winter Quarters. We also love deep fried food - so maybe there will be time for both.

Shalee said...

Excited to see you all in a few weeks!

Suzy said...

We will ALL be so glad when this semester is over...and we are on the road!!!!!