Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sad News

What you are looking at is a very old photo of Peter Buck, Michael Stipe, Bill Berry, and Mike Mills, otherwise known as R.E.M. They started off as a tiny independent band from Georgia that was known for getting play on college radio stations. Eventually, they got mainstream recognition, won a boatload of Grammys, and at one point had the largest recording deal in music. Over the years, they got older and things changed -- Bill Berry had a brain aneurysm on stage and decided to retire, Micheal Stipe came out of the closet, they made some albums that were great and some that were pretty unsuccessful, Peter Buck started looking like a middle-aged woman named Marge. But they were always cool. To me anyway.


These guys are one third of my college music trinity (U2 and Indigo Girls being the other 2/3). Today they announced that, after 31 years together, they are "calling it a day." I appreciate that they have always done their own thing and followed their muse even when it didn't necessarily work. (Around the Sun anyone?) Anyway, they made music that moves me and they provided me with the greatest concert experience of my life (better even than U2 if you can believe it). I'm sad they're breaking up but I'm glad they're doing it with class and grace on their own terms. Thanks guys.

3 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

I am lol at the"Marge"line !

Ang said...

I don't know if Forrest will ever forgive me that I made him give up his second row tickets to see REM and, instead, go with me to the Homecoming dance in 1989. I did have a pretty kickin blue neon dress, though, so at least there was that.

Mark Brown said...

Jeeze, it must be love. Second row? That better have been some dress.