Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Randomness

My 1002 students are workshopping their first essay. People are reading aloud, others are reading along, everyone looks pretty involved and interested. Yay. Any day I don't have to do all the talking and the students shoulder the majority of the work is a good day.

It's summer. Hot, humid, ridonkulously buggy summer. I mowed the lawn yesterday and, at one point, stopped and looked up at the sky at what I thought was a flock of buzzards crazily circling above me, waiting to consume my rotten flesh. Nope, turns out it was just mosquitoes - really, really big mosquitoes. Walking outside feels like I'm taking a stroll through the middle of a South American river. Every afternoon (and sometimes the mornings, sometimes the evenings), the sky turns black, lightning starts striking everywhere, wind rips off a few tree branches, and rain comes at us like it's being dumped out of a bucket. Our garden is a weed-choked bog. Our potted flowers are flourishing because they think they live in a rain forest.

This week has been a nice break activity-wise. For the last three or four weeks, the girls have had some kind of camp (or two) going on. Basketball camp, tennis camp, musical theater camp, science camp, etc. I'm always glad to have the girls learning new things and having their horizons broadened, as it were, but holy crap, it was a ton of driving. We criss-crossed this valley like OCD mailmen, dropping off and picking up everywhere we went. This week, blessed stillness. No camps, no real obligations beyond the usual work and church stuff. Consequently, the girls have spent the week lumbering around (shuffling side to side as if their boredom is physically incapacitating them), saying, "So. Bored." I took them to the library Monday, and they checked out their body weight in angsty YA novels about girls whose friends just don't understand or whose parents just don't understand or whose teachers just don't...well, you know.

We've spent a lot of time with other people's kids lately, either babysitting them or having play dates or whatever. What we've learned is that Parker, for all her sassy genius, is kind of behind some other kids in some ways. We watched some kids whose parents are decidedly hands-off. They are the "I need to work so you guys go outside and play until I tell you to come back in. I don't care what you do as long as you don't set anything on fire" kind of parents. So on the one hand, these kids were thrilled that we paid attention to them, played with them, etc.  But on the other hand, these kids poured their own cereal and milk, tied their own shoes, took care of all their own bathroom business without help, etc. because that's what they've had to do.

Suzy and I are kind of overprotective and hovery, I think. Partly, we worry for our kids and want to make sure they're okay. Partly, we just want to make sure stuff gets done right. Parker has adapted to this and not only lets us but expects us to do a lot of things for her that she needs to learn to do for herself. She'll be in five-day-a-week preschool this fall, and there are certain things she's just got to get under control before we can turn her over to her teachers and peers, you know? First item on list? Stop stripping entirely naked in order to pee. Not necessary, Parker. Not necessary at all.

Star Trek Into Darkness came and went without me seeing it in the theater. That was a little disappointing. Man of Steel is still around but is getting such middling reviews, I don't know if I want to take the time and effort. Sounds like a renter for sure. Pacific Rim? Giant robots fighting giant monsters from beneath the surface of the earth? What? Are you kidding me? I might even have to drive somewhere to find an IMAX 3D for that business.

It's almost lunch time. My body will head home but my heart and my head will go over the river to the Dog House. It has been far too long since I've had a Chicago dog (or two) with some hot, crispy fries and a cold, sweet diet Pepsi. That sounds like the greatest thing a human could eat for lunch today. I'm confident nothing would be better.

I am listening to a student read his profile paper to his peers. The idea was for them to interview someone and write a profile that provides an overall, dominant impression of that person. He interviewed his lazy, slacker best friend. He wrote the whole thing like a nature documentary that's trying to track down some rare animal. I just heard the line, "Much like the majestic platypus, the Ryan Johnson doesn't actually do much." Nice. I can tell this kid's going to do well on this paper.

Only seven minutes left in class. Time to check back in with my young charges and get them on their way for tomorrow. 



2 comments:

Ang said...

I love that you wrote this during class.

Star Trek was good but not as good as the first one from a few years back. Man of Steel was decidedly meh. Lacking a certain amount of depth; no sense of humor. World War Z was surprisingly good. I went right home and read the Vanity Fair article about all the problems with the script and the production, which made the finished product even more interesting. Favorite movie this summer, though? Mud with Matthew McConaughey. Probably hard to catch in a small town, though, if it hasn't already left town. DVD soon maybe? Oh, and take your girls to Monsters University--enjoyed it quite a bit!

Wyatt still makes me tie his shoes. Or, rather, I make him let me tie his shoes for him because I lack the patience to wait for him to get it done? He's going into 1st grade and weighs 58 pounds and I'm seriously considering going back to velcro straps. I don't think Ethan started pouring his own milk for his cereal until he was 10. (Hey! I was pouring milk for all the other kids too.) I do think he's intending to go to college next year, though, so I'd better teach him to do his own laundry at some point.

Paul and Linda said...

LOL at this rambling, funny, and thought-provoking post, Mark !

We just took the boys (B & C) to see Monsters U. and I found it f.u.n ! Someone in the writing workshop for that one remembered that there would be ADULTS in the audience, and there are funny lines delivered by a comedian who is funny, so ...

As to inabilities of pre-schoolers and their older sibs ... let me say that I am always amazed at the # of kids who cannot zip their own jackets, get the rt. shoe on the rt. foot (or the left on the left) and go walking "majestic platypus" style while complaining that their feet hurt, and my personal favorite, to FLUSH ! Parker will figure this out peer pressure style, and a million other things you will wish she never would have learned ! Look what life has taught Paula Deen abt. "bad" language !