Monday, June 4, 2012

To Read

This fall I'll be teaching an Intro to Fiction course - not a creative writing class or a historical survey but a class devoted purely to the appreciation of good fiction. Holy crap, right? It's so broad and open, it's hard to figure where to even start. I have a good textbook with lots of cool short fiction, and I'm sure I'll supplement it with additional stories. (The book doesn't have "The Prophet's Hair" by Salman Rushdie, "Roman Fever" by Edith Wharton, or "Thanksgiving" by Angela Hallstrom. All essential.) But the thing that's on my mind right now is the novel for the class. I'm going to give them a selection to choose from and then each student picks a novel, reads it, and does a big whoop-te-doo presentation at the end of the semester. My colleague who previously taught the class allowed them to write a straightforward literary analysis or to make a diorama of a scene from the book or to write up and explain the dream cast of a movie version or to stage a small stage version of a scene or whatever. It's really up to the preferences and talents of the individual student. That all sounds good to me. I'm all in favor of a good diorama in college. Really, aren't we suffering from a lack of good dioramas in the world?



I digress.

Anyway, the questions are, what novels do I give them to choose from, and how wide of a selection do I offer? The previous teacher said she wished she hadn't allowed the students so many different options because everyone was working on a separate book practically and there was no chance for things to coalesce between students or for her as a teacher. She was just managing twenty different projects without feeling like any of them had anything to do with the others. So that was her one word of advice in passing this on to me - fewer novels.

So if you had to choose four or five novels that represent the best in fiction, that are substantial enough to be worthy of a semester's worth of study, that won't be totally overwhelming in size or scope for community college sophomores, that you don't mind thinking or talking about for sixteen weeks - what would they be?

Right now, my list looks like this:

My Antonia by Willa Cather. (I've taught this perhaps too many times? Switch to something else by Cather? O Pioneers?)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. (This is a lock. I'm definitely making this one of the choices. It's great - plus they're making a film version right now. Timely, you know?)

Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut. (I love Vonnegut but this is more obscure and less of a workhorse than Slaughterhouse Five.)

Straight Man by Richard Russo. (It may be a little too inside-baseball. A creative writing professor goes through a midlife crisis while teaching a small, rural college. Hmmmm. It is, however, the funniest novel I have ever read.)

My Name Is Asher Lev. (This one's a lock too. It's a great novel and having my students read about Jewish characters at all, much less Hasidim, will be like having them read about Martians.)

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. (A longtime favorite but perhaps too sentimental, too episodic, not substantial enough?)

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. (One of the truly great, epic American novels. It devastated me when I finished it. But it's a doorstop of a book and starts off slow. Might not be anyone's choice and might be some poor student's undoing.)

The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. (Funny, big-hearted, and unexpected - but also huge and perhaps too much to ask of busy college students.)

I'm just not sure what will be best, you know? I want four, maybe five books and I want them all to be just the right thing - which, of course, never really happens. I'll offer them the literary selections of my deepest soul and they'll be like, "Dude, that book sucked canal water. Who would ever like a steaming pile like that?"

So do you have any suggestions? What's the novel from high school or college or whenever that changed your life? What is the book that made the world look different to you for a while? Do tell.

9 comments:

Dan said...

I completely agree with those that you have locked in.

As far as another suggestion.....To Kill a Mockingbird? Too highschool? I loved that book.

The Hobbit? Or perhaps something from C.S. Lewis?

Farenheit 451?

Man! You're right, you have a broad swath to choose from. Glad it's you choosing and not me.

Unknown said...

Catching up with your blog today and realized that I never thanked you for the sweet book you sent. I love it. Thank you. Really!

As for novels, here's my short list:

The Professor's House (Cather)
Ender's Game or Xenocide (Card)
Light in August (Faulkner)
Ceremony (Silko)
The Bean Trees or Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver)

Like you say, though, it's a crap shoot offering these to students. Sometimes they "get" them. Sometimes they poo on them.

Captain Admiral said...

My favorite books are the aforementioned To Kill a Mockingbird, East of Eden, and A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm not sure I would have appreciated any of these books in my late teens/early twenties (as I assume the majority of your students are), but as I hurtle toward middle age, I dig 'em.

lateshoes said...

Hmmm -

Another Country - James Baldwin
Lolita - Nabakov
Middlemarch - George Eliot
The Bell Jar - Plath
Frankestein - Mary Shelley
Persuasion - Jane Austen

and of course - The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck

Ang said...

I think Enders Game and Asher Lev are both great choices. I agree with Clark that Poisonwood Bible might be a good choice, too, although it's long. Engrossing, but long. I read A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley when I was in college and loved it. It deals with sibling and parent relationships, among other things, which is good for college age kids. If you haven't read it, it's a modern day retelling of King Lear, set in rural Iowa. Your students might connect with the setting too. I also think The Kite Runner might be a good choice: contemporary, lots to sink your teeth into, good story. Sounds like it will be a great class!

melanie said...

I'm still giggling at the Glenn Beck suggestion... my day just got exponentially funnier thanks to lateshoes!!

Mark Brown said...

Of course, The Christmas Sweater! How could I leave that off my list? Really, I find anything by Beck to be nuanced, subtle, affecting, and invariably a shimmering mirror reflecting the good in humanity.

(We discussed irony in my 1002 class today. How is it different from sarcasm again?)

Paul and Linda said...

Here I have been giving this a lot of"serious" thought, and "Late Shoes" has taken us on a slightttt diversion ! :o)

To return ... I am thinking that many of these suggestions might have flown in a class at BYU-I (formerly known as Prince ... uhh, Ricks), but are they a bit heavy for IVCC ?

Thinking so, perhaps, I am on board w/To Kill a Mockingbird and something by C.S. Lewis, Hobbit is good.

I like Bean Trees better than Poisonwood Bible because it deals w/a subject matter more familiar to them,

Ender's Game is good, and something from the 30's-40's genre like Grapes of Wrath or a personal fav, Cold Sassy Tree as a flip.

Even something very contemporary like The Help may fly as long as the movie does not become the cliff note !

Love the locked ideas, and favor Bradbury (sad to say "good-bye Ray" We'll miss ya' !) and Stegner over Udall and Vonnegut (who is done to death in my opine !).

Maybe Christie for an old-fashioned mystery ?

Now, I'm getting windy ... pick as you will, Professor Brown ! You've just rewritten my "read again" list !

Karen said...

Lonesome Dove would be a fabulous addition. One of my all time favorite reads.... and maybe something different for a change!