Sunday, December 30, 2012

LGM

Brad Silberling's City of Angels has been playing on TV for the past week or so. You may remember it -- Nicholas Cage plays an angel, Meg Ryan plays a surgeon (!). What you may not know is that it's actually a remake of a German film by Wim Wenders called Wings of Desire. In that version, the angel falls for a circus worker - an acrobat, I think.

Anyway, Suzy and I saw City of Angels in the theater and enjoyed it enough to buy it on VHS back when that was the thing to do. I've sort of thought of it as one of "our" movies since then.

So it occurred to me when I saw it the other night that it was a perfect role for Nic Cage - to play something not quite human, a little cold and distant, wanting to be normal but not being able to pull it off. It also occurred to me that City of Angels might be the last good movie Nic Cage was ever in. He seems to have just given up and gone from interesting, sometimes experimental actor to professional paycheck whore. I mean, have you seen some of the stanky stank bombs this guy has been in over the last decade? It's like he's not even looking. He just gets driven from one set to another, fitted with one terrible (and I mean terrible) wig or another, is pointed toward the camera, and someone yells, "Action."

So I look on IMDB and find that the actual last good movie NC was in (if you are generous with your definition of the word "good") was either 2005's World Trade Center or 2003's Matchstick Men. So, at best, it's been seven years since Mr. Cage has appeared in something that didn't drip a rich and robust lame sauce.

Out of curiosity, I looked up a couple of other former greats who have floundered, sputtered, or otherwise petered out. Harrison Ford? His LGM was What Lies Beneath (2000) and before that, Air Force One (1997). Not a good track record for the last twelve years.

Mel Gibson. Ol' Mel, as you may recall, was one of the biggest stars in the world in the 80s and 90s. He was cool on screen and off. A family man with with a kajillion kids and the same wife he started with. He's totally blown that and just gone bonkers, but what about his acting career? I'll go ahead and say that Apocalypto, his Mayan chase movie, is totally awesome. It's bloody for sure, but also absolute proof to me that someone with a brain and a budget could make really great movies out of the Book of Mormon if they wanted to. Anyway, he only wrote and directed that one so it doesn't count. I'm talking good movies that people want to see this person in. What was Mel's LGM? 2002's Signs which, coincidentally, is also director M. Night Shyamalan's LGM. Ten years of crappy for both of them.

Fascinating, isn't it? For some people's careers, you can point to an exact date in time and say, "Yep, that's the last time they got anything right."

So, what actor can you confidently point to that has a distant LGM?

6 comments:

Captain Admiral said...

Okay, first of all, Signs was dreck. Terrible, insipid, half-baked dreck. Ham-handed direction, phoned in performances (Joaquin Phoenix is who I'm thinking of here), wafer-thin script, and aliens that are fataly allergic to water invade a planet that's 70% water and fail to wear any sort of protective clothing? Ugh.

Mel Gibson's LGM was probably... never? He's been in a lot of popular movies, but seriously, in my opinion, none of them are great. Braveheart was pretty good and still overrated. The Lethal Weapon movies (at least the first two) were solid, funny, stupid action flicks, but they were never great. Mad Max? Ransom? Payback (again, decent, but not great)? I will argue that he's never done a great film. Out of all his listings on IMDB, the only one that made me smile to myself was Chicken Run. That should tell you something.

And as for an addition to your list/idea, how about Matthew Broderick? I would say Election was his last great film. An inky black comedy about a philandering school teacher. Dark, tragic, pathetic, but really quite good.

Mark Brown said...

I disagree. Signs was slow and stylized, but for this film, that slowness acted as a great counterpoint to the usual explosions and panic of alien invasion movies. I appreciated the steady burn it accomplished. Phoenix's performance was no more phoned in and distant than anything else he's ever done. He's of the Nic Cage school of aliens trying to make it on earth acting. The whole water-allergic-aliens thing obviously doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny - but at the same time, it's still a nod to the War of the Worlds -- a massively powerful race laid to waste because they caught a cold?

As for Mel Gibson, no, he's probably never been in a great movie but the "G" stands for good, not great. How many truly great movies are made at all? All I'm talking about here is a movie that didn't make me feel dirty and cheated for paying eight bucks to see it in the theater or for spending two hours to watch it at home.

Election was smart, good stuff. Too dark for me to really take pleasure in - but I can respect it from a distance without ever wanting to see it again.

Paul and Linda said...

First ... MSB you are a funny funny "new words" man always adding to my vocab !

In this post alone : "stanky stank" is positively skoogish, and "dripping a rich and robust lame sauce" is over the skoog for sure !

Now, if I can insert a woman LGM into this controversy please let me nominate Barbara Hershey ... remember her as the stand-offish HS English teacher in "Hoosiers" (which may have been Gene Hackman's LGM, too, come to think of it !) ? After that she blew her lips up so far they were almost off her face to star against Bette Midler in "Beaches", and after that ... well, was there an after that ?

Ang said...

I liked Gibson in Signs. I liked Signs -- still do. If I see it on cable it's one of those movies I'll stop and watch for a few minutes.

I also liked Gibson in The Beaver. It's a weird little movie, and my reaction to his performance was definitely informed by all the icky stuff going on in his personal life, but I thought the film was moving.

lateshoes said...

You obviously haven't watched Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call or the Wicker Man remake.
Here enjoy this not at all safe for children's ears montage of Cage-Rage.
http://youtu.be/xP1-oquwoL8

Paul and Linda said...

Well, at least there is a new quote on this very overdue blog !