Friday, December 14, 2007

Guest Post: Maryn's Birth

This is Suzanne's account of the day Maryn was born. Even though I come across as kind of an idiot in this version, it still sums up the day pretty well.

"I actually found myself giggling a little as I fell asleep last night thinking about what a day I had on December 14, 2000, the day that literally changed my life for good. I had gotten up for work…it was around 6:30 am. I remember rushing to the bathroom because it didn’t feel like I was going to make it in time and I didn’t. I thought I had wet my pants, but it was actually my water breaking. I remember sitting there (sorry, gross image) and the trickle not stopping. Hmmm…that’s strange. It’s still really early, I thought. I’m not due for another month practically. (Jan. 8 was my due date and it was Dec. 14th.) I told Mark about it and he mumbled something and rolled back over. I got in the shower. The trickle became a little stronger…with every movement. After I got out of the shower, I called my doctor. He said to go the hospital, that if it was my water breaking we’d have a baby by the end of the day and if not we’d go back home. I told Mark to get ready—grab my hospital bag and put the carseat in the car. He reluctantly agreed. He did not believe we’d have a baby by the end of the day, it was way too early. But I knew it was time…the contractions had started by this time and I was IN labor. We drove the 5 minutes to St. Luke’s and I checked in. It was thrilling, scary and intense all at the same time. I was pretty calm despite the fact that I knew that we were going to have a premature baby. I guess I didn’t understand what all of it would mean. After we got into the triage, the nurse checked to see if my water had broke and what had started as a slow leak was now in fact a waterfall. She basically finished the job and we were ready to go. Mark was in shock…he was both excited and a little overwhelmed at what we were embarking upon. We got a huge birthing room complete with a Jacuzzi, TV, birthing ball, etc. I tried out the Jacuzzi right away. It was nice and relaxing. I spent the next couple hours in and out of the tub. After that, I felt what it really meant to be in labor and breathed my way through another couple hours before I could get my epidural. Sweet epidural. After that I was happy as a clam. I laid in my bed, chatting with my nurse who was from Michigan, and Mark went off to eat lunch. When he got back I remember it was time to start pushing and he smelled like chocolate. I didn’t like him much at that moment. I hadn’t eaten since the night before and it was now around 2:30 pm. I pushed for 3 hours and nothing was happening. Finally the nurse figured it out and with a little adjusting and a vacuum suction cup placed on the baby’s head, out popped our little 5 lb. 12 ounce baby girl!! She started screaming bloody murder instantly and I remember seeing her beautiful rosebud lips curl into a sneer that made my heart sing and melt all at the same time. Even after they placed her on my chest, she screamed. It wasn’t until Mark started talking to her that she calmed down. She recognized his voice and quieted down for a moment and then continued on into her tirade. They cleaned her off, weighed her, and warmed her up. She was a preemie (born at 36 ½ weeks) and very small, but her apgar scores were great. She had strong lungs and good color. They let us keep her and she didn’t need to be whisked away to the NICU. I took a little time being stitched up (had to go back for surgery 3 mos. later anyway), and Mark got to talk some more with Maryn Elizabeth, now only a few minutes old. I held her as they wheeled us up to the recovery floor. We had a corner room and I remember not wanting to ever leave. The three of us there in that tiny little room felt like the most right thing I had ever done in my life. I had a baby by the end of that day, and began a life that I would never trade in a million years.

And as the years have past I have watched Maryn grow. She has always been such a cutie! She is curious and smart. She is affectionate and sensitive. She is social--friendly and warm. She is creative and constantly has marker-stained fingers from all her coloring and drawing. She has the funniest sense of humor and really gets a kick out of making us laugh (ask us about her "tooth" book sometime). She has always been a great big sister…from the time she wasn’t even two and we brought Avery home. She’s been a helper and a strong force for good in our family. She is learning so much this year and I am constantly surprised at how articulate and kind she is becoming. She is a sweetheart and I am thrilled to be celebrating #7 with her this year."

1 comment:

lateshoes said...

Aw. Happy Birthday, Maryn!
This post made me weepy. Moms are awesome!