Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Whew


One idea I use to comfort myself when I'm about to experience something potentially unpleasant is, no matter how bad it may be, it can't last forever. If it's a dentist's appointment, I figure it will be over in an hour or so. If it's a class full of hooligan students, I know it will be over in 16 weeks. If it's talking about my religion to a class full of disapproving Catholics, I know it has to be over by one. And it is. I'm now safely installed in the Writing Center and my presentation on the church is over with.

All in all, it went pretty well. It's not like the Holy Spirit came and alighted on the heads of my listeners but it also isn't as though I was tarred and feathered for being a heretic. I explained the basic beliefs of the church - God, Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon - and said a few things about missionaries and temples. Then I talked about how it was legal to kill a Mormon in the state of Missouri until 1976. That perked them right up. We talked a little about polygamy (I figured I'd beat them to the punch on that one) and then I opened it up for questions. They covered quite a range, from "How does your church view holy books from other religions" to "What's the Mark of Cain?"

Some listeners were more engaged than others and some were more sympathetic than others. One woman in the back looked at me the whole time as though I smelled like I'd just emerged from a sewer. A row of guys on the left were clearly there because they had to be and their whole project was just staying awake for an hour. But the majority of the group seemed interested and attentive.

Anyway, Jason Beyer, the teacher, seemed pleased and a couple of people stuck around to ask additional questions so I'd say it went pretty well.

The most surprising aspect of the whole thing was when, an hour before my presentation, a guy showed up at my office, introduced himself, and said he'd be coming to the talk because he's RLDS and he's excited that finally there's someone else on campus who "understands." It was really weird but really fun too. He's a nice guy and we had a chat about polygamy (the dividing line between LDS and RLDS back in the days of Nauvoo and the exodus to Utah), about revisionist church history, and about the Community of Christ. Hardly the friend connection I thought I'd be making today, but fun and interesting nevertheless.

I feel like a weight is off. I have the big Day of Writing thing on Friday but I don't even care. I feel as light as a soap bubble. Yay for me.

8 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

I'm sorry about the woman with the unaccepting face, and I'm sorry FOR the woman with the unaccepting face, too.

I'm sure you gave a fair and informational presentation and probably stirred some thinking around as well. Who knows what can come of this !

Ang said...

Bravo! I'm sure you did a great job.

I had to do the same thing during my MFA at Hamline. They have a Masters of Liberal Studies degree there, and one of the classes was "The Imagination of 19th Century America" or some such thing and they were reading the biography of Joseph Smith. Sooo, one thing led to another and they invited me to class.

Oh, the pressure!! I was also one of the only Mormons within shouting distance, and many of the students knew little to nothing about Mormonism. (One of them was surprised I was "still" a Mormon because I "wore eye make-up" and they thought religious Mormons "didn't do stuff like that".)

This was years ago, now, though. I can remember thinking it went alright. I do remember one guy asking me, in reference to the Joseph Smith story, "So . . . is it a requirement that you believe all this stuff actually happened? Or can you go to your church even if you don't buy it?"

I remember telling him something along the lines of anybody's welcome to come to church--but that being Mormon is a heck of a lot of work if you don't "buy it" on at least some level, and that I counted myself among the majority of Mormons who believe that Joseph Smith did, in fact, talk to God and find golden scriptures in the ground, etc. etc. He looked at me like I was from outer space. It was pretty awesome.

Jennifer said...

Mark,
I'm glad it went well. I said a prayer for you today that you would feel alright about what you said and that you would feel inspired. Wish I could have heard you.
Jennifer

brownbunchmama said...

Good job, Mark !! I knew it would go fine...what an interesting conversation to have just prior to...what is it about things working in a mysterious way??? Anyway, we're happy it went as it did and glad you can be on to the next thing on your list!

melanie said...

Way to go! I think you'll carry this experience with you for a long time. What an amazing opportunity.

Shauna said...

Way to go. I need to send you a link to an interview I have from a twenty year old girl that did this same thing at Yale for their college's version of the same thing.

It's daunting to say the least. I know that you did well and it's exciting to see the opportunities that are coming up to share the gospel and dispel the rumors.

Mark Brown said...

I actually watched that interview right before I did my presentation. I thought that young woman was really impressive. I stole several of her lines actually.

Shalee said...

Wow, good job!!!