Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Before I Die


Suzanne and I are going to see U2 this summer. Yep, I've seen the Indigo Girls four or five times, I've seen REM from the front row, but I've never seen the boys from Dublin. This July will be it and then I will be able to scratch that particular item off my "To Do Before I Die" list.

Another thing I'd like to do before I die is visit Phillip Johnson's estate in New Canaan, CT. Phillip who? He was an architect - you probably have heard of his Glass House design. He did everything from houses to gargantuan office buildings. Some of his designs were interesting, some were not. What I like best are the buildings he did on his own property in New Canaan. The Glass House is his and he built it in 1949. After that, he continued to design and build different structures on his property for the next fifty years. Some of them were functional like his work studio and art galleries and some were just for fun like a tower you can climb and a strange, sculptural building Johnson called Da Monsta.

I just love that he designed and built things simply because he wanted to and he could. His whole property just seems like this fantastic little kingdom and I'd love to visit it someday.


The Glass House



The Sculpture Gallery



The Brick House and the Glass House



The Art Gallery



The Studio



The Tower

3 comments:

Shalee said...

Okay. I will at least type YAY FOR YOU that you get to see U2 before I fall victim to the little green monster of jealousy.....

Karen said...

Very Cool. Chris and I saw Sting two years ago and I was so incredibly impressed with his talent... it knows no age limit with the good ones. Enjoy.
PS-Do you think that architect has his 2 year supply of Windex??!!

Paul and Linda said...

Is the Tower made of giant Legos ?