Monday, January 4, 2010

And Not A Moment Too Soon


The girls go back to school tomorrow. They are dear, sweet, loving, little children but man, I am so ready for them to get the freak-daddy out of my house. Out. Way out.

We've enjoyed some high quality family time over the last couple of weeks. We've had a very cozy, peaceful, enjoyable holiday season but, after a certain point, the warm fuzzies wear off and Maryn and Avery start saying things to me like:

"Dad! Avery just hit me in the back with the hairspray bottle."
"No, I didn't!"
"Yes, you did!"
"I hit you in the shoulder, not the back."
"Well, you did hit me."
"Yeah, but only because you threatened me with the water sprayer."
"I did not."
"Did too!"
"Did not!"

and so on.

So them getting out of the house from 8 to 3:30 will be good for everyone. They'll get to be out of house, spend time with friends, get direction from teachers, etc. I, on the other hand, won't have to go to jail for baking my children into a pie. It's a win-win situation as I see it.

I still have about ten days until I officially go back to work. I'll have to do some off-the-clock work to prep for the upcoming term - updating syllabi, making schedules, getting together a reading schedule for American Lit, etc. so I hope to get that taken care of sometime this week.

I'll also be painting the girls' room. One of their gifts from Santa was a redecorated room. They've decided their old room is too little-girl so they got new comforters, wall hangings, a rug, new lamps, etc. The final component is new paint. We all know how much I love to paint. I love it like I like swallowing nails and dryer lint. But I'll do it and it will be fine. They're excited for their new room so that's good enough for me, I guess.

3 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

ROFL, Mark ! Been there and done that ! Love the line about baking them in a pie ... ;o)

As to your preps ... syllabi-syllabee, whatever it takes ! (name that thinly shielded movie line !)

Mark Brown said...

Is it Mr. Mom with Michael Keaton?

Paul and Linda said...

You win ! Michael said "220-221, whatever it takes" !

Funny movie ! J&A and I were remembering the one where he cloned himself and each successive clone got dumber and dumber !

Whatever happened to THAT Michael Keaton ?