Friday, November 5, 2010

A Few Small Things That Make Me Happy

When it's bedtime and I hand Parker her favorite blanket (Anna - short for anesthesia)and she hugs it to her chest with a big, broken-picket-fence smile like it's a long lost friend.



The song "Relator" by Scarlett Johanson and Pete Yorn. I know, I know - a movie actor doing an album - it's a giant cliche that has led to some awful things. (The Bruce Willis opus The Return of Bruno and Don Johnson's Heartbeat to name just two.) But I really like this song. It's poppy, dancy, and nice to listen to.



The cast of Castle. The show itself, meh. The murders and solutions are boilerplate (like most TV cop shows)but the chemistry among the cast members is a treat. They seem like they genuinely like each other and get along. It's probably because of Nathan Fillion's off-handed, likable performance and how it meshes with Stana Katic's reserved, slightly-annoyed-slightly-amused portrayal. It's fun just to watch them talk.

Bloomington, IL. It's a cool college town with lots to do. There's a kids' science museum, a comic book store, and a Chicago dog restaurant all within one block. Isn't that the definition of heaven?



The fact that my brother, Dave, is taking a family picture tomorrow with his wife's extended family and everyone has to dress like a character from the Nativity scene. Yeah, you read that right. My brother will appear in a family photo as a wise man or shepherd or something. That very thought just makes me smile.

The fact that Christmas break is fast approaching.

The fact that I made it out of an hour-long conversation with my dissertation director with my head still attached to my shoulders. I was terrified of what she might say. (She is not what normal humans would call "warm" or "nice" or "warm-blooded," etc.) It turned out to be very useful and not excruciating. Always a bonus.

Action figures.

A good haircut.

The fact that, at parent/teacher conference this week, both of our older daughters' teachers praised them as excellent readers, independent learners, and students who always have something to contribute to the class. Music to my ears.

Watching TV with Suzanne.



The fact that, on the day we had to fly with my mother and three children across the country to attend my dad's funeral, Suzanne set out my traveling clothes the night before and she picked my lightning bolt superhero t-shirt for me to wear. She gets me.

Scrabble.

The smell of burning leaves.

Pixar movies. Seriously, what production company can claim 11 artistic and commercial hits in a row? Their level of success and quality is unmatched. I can watch The Incredibles or Ratatouille or UP anytime, anywhere and be perfectly happy.

Saturdays.

Sleeping in.

Writing. (Sometimes.)

2 comments:

lateshoes said...

1. I think Nathan Fillion has the ability to make everyone happy.
He's even funny enough to "follow" on Twitter.

If you haven't watched Firefly/ Serenity. I command you to do so. It's only 13 or so episodes, so it flies by. If you have Netflix, I think you can still watch them instantly online. You won't regret it.

2. Heartbeat is a really good song. :)

3. Henry & Glenn Forever. You must read it. It's about Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig being in love and it's more adorable than it sounds. It will make you grin. http://microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/zines/3174/

Paul and Linda said...

Ooo ! Two more fans of Castle-mania ! Tracy, you are a woman of obvious taste. It is Nathan Fillion. Stana is a bit bland, but if one likes women who have 10 ft.legs, I guess she is attractive.

I am grateful that Castle does not come on Thursday night and make me choose between it and The Mentalist starring Simon Baker. Then I might have a conflict !

My new "favorite commercial" is the one w/the baby in the car scooting in and and out of traffic, and in the background is a long ago song by the Four Freshman and it is sung by their lead after he has inhaled helium ... so funny !

As for Dave's Christmas photo ... not as bad as the one done by some friends a few years ago where the families were each assigned two letters from "Merry Christmas" to form with their bodies. It can always be worse.