Sunday, August 4, 2013

July

It's been a month since my last post, but in my defense, it's been a busy month.

Since the beginning of July, we got our realtor over here and made plans to sell, did a bunch of projects over the course of a week to prep the house, put the house up for sale, had four showings, ended up accepting an offer for almost 5K over what we were asking after 48 hours of being on the market, passed our appraisal, passed our home inspection, signed limited power of attorney over to our lawyer so he can take care of our closing, spent a weekend in Midland agonizing over rentals, applied for the one we decided was best, got accepted for it, and packed 75% of our house.

Do I need to point out that I am freaking exhausted? My bones feel like they're made out of lead and my muscles feel like they're just so many thin, sun-baked rubber bands.

Tomorrow I have to teach what will hopefully be my last lesson to the teenagers for Sunday School. Then I have to read and grade a stack of papers so I can figure final grades which I will submit on Monday. Once I get that done, I will turn in my ID badge, parking pass, and keys to HR, and I will no longer be an employee of Illinois Valley Community College. That night, after Suzy finishes teaching her last class, we will probably drive a few hours so we can get a leg up on our trip to Beulah, Michigan for the once-every-three-years, week-long Day family reunion. There's a lunch at 2 p.m. on Tuesday that everyone's supposed to attend, and since we don't want to leave at 5:30 a.m. that morning, we need to get on the road Monday evening.

Saturday, once the reunion wraps up, we will drive over to Midland and drop off one of our cars so we don't have to tow anything when we move. Once that's done, we'll turn right around and head home. Supposedly, we will be in good enough shape to get up and make it to church the next day. If that actually happens, it will be our last Sunday in the Ottawa ward. Then we'll spend the next few days finishing up the packing so that when our 26 foot U-Haul appears on Thursday the 15th, we will be ready to just load it up and head off for Midland on the 16th. Hopefully, we'll have plenty of people to help on both ends of the trip. Hopefully, we'll be able to fit everything in one trip. Hopefully, the truck and van run smoothly and everyone makes it safely.

Whew. 

It's a lot to do, and it feels a little overwhelming. But we are remarkably blessed in how the sale of the house has gone, and more than anything else, I need to remember that all of this is a direct (though unexpected) answer to prayer. We pretty much begged for this exact series of events for six months. Now that it's happening, I should just be grateful, keep my mouth shut, and keep packing boxes.

No comments: