Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I also know that it just happens to be true

"Sometimes when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin or a kind and loving gesture or a subtle encouragement or a loving embrace or an offer of a comfort. Not to mention hospital gurneys, nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, and soft spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction.

"And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are, in fact, here for a much larger, nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange but I also know that it just happens to be true."

Name that movie, folks, and the corresponding Gospel principle in these words.

8 comments:

J'Amy Day said...

That quote makes me think about the "Tender Mercies" talk by Elder Bednar a few years ago...we can see the Savior's hand in everything around us, which, in turn, helps us to understand and see how much our Heavenly Father loves us.

Now, for the movie...hmmm...we've been watching lots of Backyardigans and Disney movies lately...couldn't be from any of those. My guess is "As Good As It Gets" with Jack Nicholas and Helen Hunt??

Mark Brown said...

Doctrine, right!
Movie, wrong!

Shalee said...

STRANGER THAN FICTION!! (One of the best movies ever made, and my favorite part no less)

Dan said...

I do believe that we sent you this film.

Paul and Linda said...

Is this post closed because they got the right answers ? What did I miss winning ?

Shauna said...

I also concur with Shalee - It IS . . Stranger than Fiction. This quote is given by author Karen Eiffel as a voice over summarizing Harold Krick's life and brave sacrifice - she sums it all up rather nicely and gives a nice moral to our funny, funky tale.

P.S. You could totally buy this movie for me for my birthday.

J'Amy Day said...

Yes! I love that movie! My birthday is coming up, too, ya know.

Mark Brown said...

It is Stranger Than Fiction and, yes, Dan and Shalee gave it to me as a gift last year and, yes, the closing bits are wonderful.

Shauna and Amy, it's now on my mental list of gifts we could give you.