Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The News

So here's the deal: last week my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She has a malignant tumor that's six centimeters across and, according to the doctor, is fast-growing and aggressive. With her current pathology report and exams, her doctor figures the cancer is stage 3. She begins chemotherapy this Thursday and will continue every other week for eighteen weeks.

When she told me about her diagnosis (she called me from the circus at the Madison County fairgrounds where she had some of my nieces and nephews), she said, "Well, it wasn't the news I wanted to hear but life doesn't stop for things like this. So we'll just move forward and take it as it comes."

So there it is.

My mom is trying to be realistic and faithful about the whole thing and so the least I can do is try to do the same.

I don't have a lot of patience for mundane things right now and, frankly, a lot of stuff seems mundane. It's hard for me to care about the lame stuff going on at my job when things that actually matter are happening. Nevertheless, as Mom pointed out, life doesn't stop. I still have to go to work and do a good job. I still have to function as a husband and parent. I still have things I need to do. The lawn needs to be mowed even though there's cancer in the world.

Somewhat in that spirit, I'll continue to blog. And I'll continue to post about useless, random things just like I always have. It keeps me sane. I'll keep you updated on my mom too. So one day I'll post the latest news on how she says she's reacting to chemo and the next day will be a close examination of a Buck Rogers comic panel from 1939. Just so you know what to expect.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Mark and Suzy,
You and your mom are in our prayers. I am sorry to hear about this. I've typed about 10 sentences here and nothing fits so I'm just going to leave it at that.
Jennifer

brownbunchmama said...

So glad you'll continue to blog...it helps keep me sane,too!
Off to see the Wizard to hear the tales of morphine evening!

Karen said...

Loved chatting with you Mark. I send my love and all my faith in prayers to your mom and the entire brown/sheffield bunch. Aunt Laurie is one of the sweetest and toughest chicks I know.

melanie said...

((hugs)) to you and your family, right now. You'll be in our prayers and thoughts, for sure.

Paul and Linda said...

Cancer is a rude and indiscriminate disease. It shows no mercy for the good and kind people of the world. It's long arm touches everyone at some time and in some very personal way. Like a tap on the shoulder, it says "You're it", and life as we knew it spins out of control.
Your posts will help control the spinning, and not only for you, but for your good and kind mother, and all those who love her. We add her to our personal prayer roll, and all the Brown Bunch as well !

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for your mom and the rest of your family. The Browns rule the school.

Thinking of you,

Tawnya

lateshoes said...

Dude, we are sending massive amounts of Medley love your way.

Shauna said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. Thank you for being so open and willing to share. Your family will be on our minds in the coming months. I wish there was something we could do. Just so you know - I would mow . . .