Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Good News For Mom

I talked to my mom earlier today and she had just finished an appointment with her oncologist. Apparently, she is on the tail end of her chemotherapy. She'll have two more treatments and then won't begin radiation therapy until after Christmas. Generally speaking, her cancer has responded miraculously well to the treatments and her doctor has been continually impressed with the progress she has shown and rate at which her tumors have shrunk. Initially, when my mom first found out about her diagnosis, we were facing the possibility of not having her around for much longer. I'm extraordinarily grateful that she and her oncologist have, so far, officially laid the smack down on her cancer and that we can look forward to having Mom around for a long, long time.

(Below is an actual photo of my mom beating the physical manifestation of cancer silly with her mean right hook. Note the haircut she's sporting now.)

3 comments:

brownbunchmama said...

Pretty close on the haircut except that the new hair has come in pure white and I don't know if I'll color it or use it as a badge of honor ! Just to clarify...it is two more rounds of treatment -- the drs say "two more treatments" and in our language it is two more rounds of three so I will officially finish on December 1 and have the month of December off before radiation begins. HOOORAY! The person on the underneath of my smack down is really one of our boys after he did not get home by curfew (in the olden days)!

Suzy said...

She's one tough cookie, that's for sure!!

Karen said...

Way to go Aunt Laurie! I just finished watching all the Rocky movies with Zach. Talk about having the "Eye of the Tiger" or better put "Eye of the Sheffield" to be able to go the distance!!