Monday, October 13, 2008

I See Film People

Recently, a few of the film studies majors got together and formed the Wayne State Film Society, a student organization dedicated to furthering the interests of students in and heightening the profile of the film studies program at the university.

One of our initiatives (sounds so formal!) is to have a monthly film screening series. Each film is chosen by us from our various Qualifying Exam lists and the student in charge that month introduces the film (which is very big here for some reason - introducing films - like people can't figure stuff out on their own) and then that student also leads a post-screening discussion.

Our inaugural film was Alan J. Pakula's paranoid thriller, The Parallax View. We advertised but not many people showed up. Nevertheless, we took pictures. It's not every day a film society has an inaugural event, you know.


I'm not sure what I was saying at this exact moment but it pleases me immensely that my friend and colleague, Carole Piechota, is looking at me as though I just told her she'd won the last Golden Ticket to Wonka's factory. I also like that Jenna Gerds' hand looks like its vibrating into another dimension. Poor photography pleases me apparently.



Mark bemused.


Carole parallaxed.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

"Cheer up Charlie" Your golden ticket comment made me laugh out loud.

Mitch said...

Isn't "bemused" your natural state of being?

Anonymous said...

All this film student stuff is making me miss school. Well, a little. :)

Mark Brown said...

No, hungry is my natural state of being. Bemused comes when I've had something to eat and I'm feelin' good.

Unknown said...

This post makes me happy and sad at the same time. I'm very happy to see my friend and mentor, Mark Brown, in one of his natural settings. I'm a little sad that I'm not in school and doing cool school things like making Film Societies.

Miss you, Mark.

Mark Brown said...

My other natural setting is the dining room of a Wendy's.

Mitch said...

You are a man of undeniable and unfathomable complexity.