Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What We're Up Against


So I'm from Idaho, right? Land of cows freezing to death while standing up. Plus, I've spent the last two and a half years in Detroit, one of the most inhospitable environments this side of the face of the moon. And yet, here in our new home, I am still surprised and a little awed by the bad weather.

Today, our all-day faculty inservice was cut short by half because the roads are swamped with drifting snow and temperatures are still dropping. Tonight, the actual temperature is supposed to be something like 8 below with a wind-chill of 35 below. Holy crap, right? The girls had a snow day as well so they're at home playing dolls and watching Phinneas and Ferb on TV.

The cancellation of the rest of inservice is actually really good fortune for me as I need a couple of hours to finalize everything for the first day of class - syllabi, assignments, etc. Nothing major but it's nice to have some extra time.

Anyway, on another topic, I'm considering discontinuing the ol' Norse Penny and starting up a new, public blog. It would be the same combo of my ramblings, book covers, movie reviews, and whatever else crosses the arid barrens of my small brain - but it would be public instead of members only. I guess I'm just curious to see what would happen, you know? It's probably mostly vanity that's promoting this idea in my brain but I also like the idea of a fresh start here in this new town/new work environment. Why not? The worst that could happen is I'd retain my six faithful readers (and you know I love you) and I'd maybe gain one or two random folks who like reading the thoughts of a middle-aged, Mormon English teacher. (Who wouldn't?) So we'll see. Maybe it will happen and maybe it won't. I've already reserved the domain name on both Blogger and Wordpress so maybe I'll find the time to put some thought into it and maybe I won't. Classes start tomorrow so I'm not betting it will be any time this week. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Shalee said...

Awesome...gotta love winter weather! I'll trade you for a body casted kid!!

Dan said...

So uhh.... do we get to keep looking at Detroit because Tonica doesn't have a cool webcam?

J'Amy Day said...

Love the fam's quotes this week...I think you need to dedicate a whole post to the burning couch.

Nicole said...

Honestly, I prefer the public blogs because they come up in my Google Reader, but I know your blog would lose a little of the personalized feel by making it free to the whole world to view. It's up you you...I'll follow you where your blogging leads.