Friday, January 30, 2009

Bright Spots and Black Holes

Having the Dish Network and, therefore, over a hundred channels to choose from is an interesting thing. First of all, a hundred channels is not as many as it sounds like. A good chunk of those channels are useless. The Jewelry Network? The born-again-preacher-yelling-at-me-in-a-southern-accent channels? Being able to watch CSI:Miami at any time of the day? No thanks.

But there are obviously good things too. There are tons of movies to watch at all hours of the day (which I always like) and plenty of episodes of Phinneas and Ferb (which the girls love.) Suzanne enjoys the Food Network, HGTV, and TLC.

In my ongoing effort to categorize the world, I have to mention a couple of what I consider to be TV bright spots as well as a couple of black holes.

The Bright Spots:

The Ace of Cakes
and specifically Mary Alice.


The show is fun because it's interesting to see how the team creates these elaborate, over-the-top cakes but it's also enjoyable because of the personalities involved. Each of the team members is quirky and interesting in his or her own way. Chef Duff, of course, seems like a fun guy to hang around with but Geoff and Anna and the rest all seem like they would be good coworkers and excellent lunch-mates.


I do have to confess though that I have a crush on Mary Alice. I'm not sure what it is other than she's very smart and witty and always seems to have a half-suppressed smile in her voice. She just seems cool. Perhaps she can be my third wife after Suzanne and Van Halen's song "Panama."

Chopped.
Chopped is everything Iron Chef is supposed to be but much, much better. You still get all the tension and excitement of dishes created on the spot, under a deadline, but none of the obnoxious, over-the-top sportscaster stupidness that ruins Iron Chef. Also, unlike IC, the food that gets made on Chopped actually seems like food real people in a nice restaurant might eat. This is the opposite of the creamed-octopus-brioche-brule-served-in-a-bed-of-toasted-oxtail-fricassee-with-a-dollop-of-stewed- gooseberries-in-a-fine-orange-liqueur-in-a-burnished-oyster-shell stupidness that gets created regularly on Iron Chef. Yes, the judges are kind of pretentious and the host guy needs to take a Zoloft but hey, I think foodies in general are kind of pretentious and intense - so let's just go along for the ride.

Man Vs. Food.
This show is fun to watch because Adam Richman knows his stuff without seeming fancy or full of himself and he just really seems to enjoy and appreciate the places he visits. Plus, it's fun to watch a guy start to cry and drool all over himself when he eats Atomic Hot Wings or the six pound sandwich or whatever. I enjoy the freakshow element of the program.



Now, for the other side. I'll be brief because I don't want to dwell on the negative.


Will somebody please, please, please shut this guy up? Please? Or at least get him the memo that he's not 17 anymore? Anyone?

Also (and this goes without saying),


she must be stopped. She's hawking dog food now. Dog. Food. Stop the "striking while the stupid iron is hot" madness. Plus, she talks like she's on crack.

9 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

I'm all for a little less Rach. for sure, never saw "Man vs Food", but you are on thin ice with the hit man attitude about Guy.

No mention of "TNFS" ... I haven't seen any of the episodes, so someone, please, bring me up-to-date with who we hate !

Is Bravo in your pkg. ? You'll love "Top Chef". It's for people who are seriously into Confrontation .

Dan said...

I used to like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Then I discovered Adam Richman. His show is far superior. Does your system come with DVR? You will truly be in heaven when you can record what you want at any time of day and then watch it later, or just keep it in your collection for the sheer satisfaction of knowing it is there if you ever need it.

Karen said...

OK Mark, I love ya, but you have struck a nerve by downing "Iron Chef" (have you watched the original Japanese version? Talk about exotic food!) - "You have been Chopped" stinks, big time!!Duff is cool but I would never want to eat any of the cakes they make - just frame them and hang them as artwork. We're on the same page with Guy (have you seen the episodes with his son "minature Guy"?) and Rachel Ray, well, we have fun teasing Ayana she looks just like her - which is not a compliment in Ayana's mind. Check out "Dinner Impossible" sometime and I'll agree with Paul and Linda about "Top Chef" - totally fun (actually the only 'reality' show I've watched....)

brownbunchmama said...

Love Ace of Cakes, too ! I'm a Top Chef regular and usually watch Iron Chef. Haven't watched Chopped yet but I plan to do that.
When I'm tired and don't want to think (which is usual) I watch the Game Show Network -- or rather, have it on for background noise.

lateshoes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lateshoes said...

I couldn't agree with you more on all stated.

I LOVE Man vs. Food. I think I fell in love the day he ate the world's hottest curry and accidentally wiped his face with the world's hottest napkin.

I also have kind of a crush on Mary Alice, though Geoffrey is my #1 crush from the show and not least of all because his last name is: Manthorne!

J'Amy Day said...

We have every episode of Man Vs. Food Ti-Vo'd on our TV upstairs. However, it's not too good on the stomach when you're trying to fall asleep while watching him devour a 10 pound pizza!! Love the show.

Ang said...

Now you're giving me good Food Network intel. I'll have to try Ace of Cakes. Don't know about the Chopped show, though. I think I've hit my reality/competition show quota. You must watch Top Chef if only because of Carla (woot woot!)--but hurry, the season's winding down. And Rachel Ray--I don't want to see your gigantic teeth gleaming at me from my box of Ritz crackers. I really don't.

Anonymous said...

I like Man V. Food because you can live vicariously through him when he's surrounded by 10 lbs of cheese fries! And, I agree that Guy Fieri needs to follow his backwards sunglasses out the door! LOL.