Friday, May 13, 2011

Film Quiz Friday


I may have to change the name of this little enterprise to "Stump the Admiral." Last Friday's quote was from Guarding Tess, an underappreciated little film in which Nicholas Cage plays a Secret Service agent in charge of protecting a former First Lady played by Shirley Maclaine. Of course, Shirley's character is acerbic and has a will of iron (like most characters she plays) and the conflicts between her and Cage's character are great fun. It's also heartfelt and surprisingly sweet. It's well worth watching, in my opinion.

This week's quote is from a film I watched endlessly in the 90s. I actually wore out my VHS copy of it. Looking back on it now, a film that seemed so current and cool is as dated as any John Hughes high school film from the 80s, just in a different way. Nevertheless, it will always occupy a gooshy spot in my heart.

Here's the quote:

"I think we made a big mistake because, we had good times and we had bad times, but we had times. And I would like to start over. I would like to be new to you. I want to be new to you. I want to be Mr. New. So call me back if you want to. But this is the last time I'll call. And, if you really needed to know how I feel, how I really feel, that's how I feel. I love you. And that's something you should know, so I won't bother you again. So, good night. And good bye. And call me back. Good bye."

12 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Straight out guess ... "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" or one of those starring the Judd/Molly/Anthony/etc. Pack ?

Paul and Linda said...

Forgot to say how funny Maryn's quote is !

Karen said...

"Fast Times..." was the first movie I thought of too.... don't know why. I don't think its right.

Mark Brown said...

It's not "Fast Times..." but there is a direct connection between the two films.

Karen said...

The other Sean Penn movie - "Shoot the Moon"?

Mark Brown said...

Nope. The two films are not connected by who was in front of the camera.

Mark Brown said...

And I should point out that you, Karen, you former Seattle-area resident, would recognize many of the locations and sights in the film the quote is from.

Karen said...

Was "Sleepless in Seattle" in the 80's? I have no idea Mark - no idea at all..... But I am very comforted to know you didn't watch "Fast Times...." over and over again! Went on a blind date to that movie and so wished I had walked out!

Captain Admiral said...

I've been waiting all week to say this:

"Come to Debbie Country!"

Much better. Thank you.

Paul and Linda said...

OK ! I admit I have been on the "internet" to find the connecting link which is Cameron Crowe, but I decline to name the movie because I cheated.

lateshoes said...

Hey Mark, remember when you told me to tell you when you were being plastic?... well, you're being plastic.

Also - there's so much life in you and so much.... emotional larceny in these others.

Karen said...

Who is Cameron Crowe and Where the heck is Debbie Country (and more importantly can I get Debbie's snacks there?)?!

If you need to disown me as a relative, Mark, I understand....