Friday, May 27, 2011

Film Quiz Friday



Last week's quote is from Stanley Kubrick's first feature-length film, The Killing (1956). It's a late-period noir that is a treat to watch. Sterling Hayden is tough, gruff, and has his heist, the titular "killing" he's going to make, all planned out.

One aspect of his downfall (there's always a downfall, isn't there?) is his co-conspirator's wife, Sherry. She's the one being referred to in the quote of the week and ends up helping facilitate the destruction of all of Hayden's well-laid plans. If you're in the mood for a surprisingly contemporary-feeling heist film brushed with some old Hollywood glamour and style, The Killing is for you.

Here's an easy one that the Admiral is forbidden from saying anything about. It's far too easy for him. He's the one who introduced the movie to me and lent me his copy of the book. So this is for everyone else:

"I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child. "

7 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Sounds a little "Joy Luck Club-ish" ?

Mark Brown said...

Nope. This movie is way on the other end of the spectrum - it's definitely a guy movie. However, like the Joy Luck Club, is is very much about a "family."

Paul and Linda said...

Now, I am curious-er ... guessing again ... The Godfather 1 or 2 ?

Certainly something Puzo-esque, but I have used up my stabs in the dark !

Unknown said...

Ah nuts! This one I knew, but I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Mark Brown said...

Ah, Linda's guess manages to edge out Clark by a nose.

Yep, The Godfather. Puzo, Coppola, Pacino, Brando -- I mean, how could you go wrong?

Would you like a fabulous prize, Linda?

Paul and Linda said...

I, in a fit of generosity, defer my prize to Clark because I am on the edge of appropriate with a 2nd guess.

(And in the hopes that I won't be denied further chances in these heated competitions !)

Unknown said...

With trek and all (I'm in Louisville now, reading AP exams), I haven't been on in a while. Thanks, Linda. I'm enjoying my virtual General Tso's chicken. !!

:)