Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Film Quiz



Captain Admiral knew what last week's quote was and Linda seemed to be on the trail but no one actually spoke up so, for the first time in FFQ history, there is no Fabulous Prize to be claimed. It's alright though. I consider Fred Sanford rising from the muddy waters to be my magnum opus so far. I need to rest after something as perfect as that.

Anyway, the quote came from 1941's The Maltese Falcon. Directed and adapted by John Huston, it starred Humphrey Bogart, of course, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, and others. The film begins with the death of Sam Spade's partner and tells the tale of him trying to unravel a very convoluted plot to steal a jewel-encrusted statue of a falcon. It's considered a proto-noir and established a lot of the conventions for movies about world-weary, tough-talking private eyes. Bogart's Spade has more to do with contemporary ideas about private eyes and black and white movies than almost any other single character from the era.

My favorite moment in the movie is when, at one point, the conniving Brigid O'Shaughnessy (Astor) slaps Joel Cairo (Lorre). When Cairo tries to retaliate, Spade grabs him, slaps him a couple more times and says, "When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it." It made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it and Avery, my 8 year old, still says it sometimes because she knows it makes me chuckle.

Aaaaaaanyway, here's this week's quote. This film is more contemporary and certainly not as widely seen. Take a guess:

"The President is coming to Somersville. Will you have the cars and the machine guns ready in about an hour?"

3 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

(the above answer is my brain on blank !)

Captain Admiral said...

It's like you're grabbing movies off of my shelf and picking quotes just for me.

I saw this one at the theater and I've watched it sooo many times since. It's nice to remeniesce about the male lead and how he was once kind of normal-ish before he started wearing really bad wigs and taking awful roles to pay his taxes.

P.S. I don't think I know how to spell 'remeniesce', but I'll go with it anyway. Feel free to correct me, English teacher guy.

Mark Brown said...

Reminisce.