Monday, September 17, 2007

My Go-To Words

Suzanne pointed out the other day that I have certain phrases and words that I use and reuse constantly. I realize this of course. A saying or term will enter into my arsenal and I'll use the heck out of it for months until something better comes along or until I realize I'm becoming dull and repetitive.

Suzanne couldn't pinpoint any of my faves when we originally talked about it so I've been keeping an ear out for the last few days trying to identify a couple. Here are a few --

Goo: Everything is goo. Earwax, Gorilla Glue, soup broth, muddy water, etc. It is my catch-all word for anything liquid, viscous, or semi-solid. Usually a pejorative but not always.

Freak: Sometimes a noun ("Don't act like a freak, Maryn"), sometimes an intensifier ("It is freaking hot in here!"), sometimes a verb ("I'm totally freaking here!"). It's so all-purpose it almost equals the versatility of "smurf" from the old cartoon. ("Hey Brainy Smurf, would you like a cold, frosty mug of smurf?" "I feel so smurfy right now.")

Ka-jillion: A lot. More than a billion, less than a google. ("It's like a ka-jillion degrees in here! Freak!")

-Tastic: It's a suffix I attach to things I like. My friend, Clark Draney, (also known as my other best friend), is rarely just "Clark." More often than not, he is Clark-tastic. The food at Casey's, the Irish pub down the road, is burger-tastic. And, of course, things can occasionally be described as freak-tastic.


I'll be sure to add to the list as others make themselves apparent.

3 comments:

Suzy said...

So I've been secretly taking notes of your ticks the past few days since this post and here are a few to add to the list:
--"Like I say..."
--"Quite frankly..."
--"What's that?..."

Hope that helps!!
Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

I knew was your best something. "Other best friend" is good. ;-)

Mark Brown said...

Other additions:

tasty -- all good food and drink is labeled "tasty."

somethin'-somethin' -- Just some weird way of me being funny. It's another general term like goo. "I need to get me a little somethin'-somethin' to eat."