Monday, February 2, 2009

Oh, What A Beautiful Cinemascope!

I've never been one for musicals. To me, they're sort of surreal and odd - the way people just break into song in the middle of their daily life, strangers coming to join in elaborate dance routines. They just never gave me much of a thrill. (With the inexplicable exception of 1962's The Music Man. Don't know why but Robert Preston and Shirley Jones just worked for me.)

I had a boss once who was a Hollywood musical aficionado. He referred to White Christmas as "the apex of musical filmmaking." Largely, he made me want to claw my own eyes out when he talked this way.

I was in a musical production in high school - Barnum, the song-and-dance version of circus master and great flim-flammer, P.T. Barnum. My friend Tony played Barnum and, as ever, I played his assistant, Amos Scudder. It was fun but it was much harder work to produce than a regular play and a lot more nerve wracking to perform. When the mid-year musical auditions came around the next year, I just let them go by.

Anyway, since musicals are a huge part of classical Hollywood cinema, I have to embrace them somewhat for the sake of being an informed scholar. Last night Suzanne and I watched 1955's Oklahoma! It's two and a half hours long but goes a lot quicker if you fast-forward through some of the lengthier dance numbers.



While I still think the break-into-song nature of musicals is strange and I'm not likely to rush out to the theater the next time there's a Rogers and Hammerstein revival, I enjoyed the movie well enough. The leads were engaging, Rod Steiger was menacing, some of the songs were very catchy, and overall it was a fun departure from the hard-boiled world of film noir.

Because I am a sucker for pretty pictures, the best part of the film was the Cinemascope. The opening sequence that features Curly riding along side corn fields and through open spaces belting out "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" is really breathtaking. The colors on the DVD version are really vivid and the view, of course, is massive and gorgeous. I can't find the exact screencap that I want (or any good ones in color for that matter) but there were a couple of shots from the opening that feature Curly, the cornfields, the wide open country beyond, and giant, white clouds in an intense blue sky - all in one shot. You could see individual leaves on the trees, prairie grass blowing in the breeze, the curves of the clouds. The images were really wonderful.

More than anything else, those initial moments of Oklahoma! made me anxious for summer. I am done with below-zero temperatures and snow on the ground. I'm ready for some green grass and leaves on the trees. It's February now so we're in the final stretch. Once it warms up a little, you'll see me outside driving around in my surrey with a fringe on top.

2 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

You're on to the next post, and I'm needing to add my two bits to this one !

When cinemascope first came into being, it was only able to be shown on theaters which had the cinema scope screen ... duh ! But there were only a few of those. Even in a town as big as Portland, we only had one theater with the famous "big screen". So, the movie ran long enough for everybody to have time to go downtown and see this amazing advancement in our viewing pleasure.

When Oklahoma came, everyone was madly in love with Gordon MacRae as he was the very handsome, established male lead to Doris Day and others. But, Shirley Jones was an unknown, relatively speaking, although she had done some Broadway. There was the "why her" ? backlash and I remember being loyal to Doris myself. She, however, was on to more serious acting with Rock Hudson and James Garner.

My favorite character was Ado Annie played so well by Gloria Grahame who wore her lipstick painted up over her lip line in some of her earlier films, and was usually the "moll" to Broderick Crawford types. Ado was a real switch for her.

I saw Oklahoma three times at the Paramount because my friend Judy loved it, and her folks treated us all three times to the movie and lunch at Kress' food bar ... burger, fries, and coke for a buck !

Nicole said...

I'm a total musical junkie. I own the full Rodgers and Hammersteins DVD set, and probably 10 other musicals on DVD. Unfortunately, my husband refuses to sit through more than about 10 minutes of any of them, but Rosie will!