Thursday, July 23, 2009

Time Traveling Dinosaurs Attacked By Killer Locusts

The Admiral and I used to play a game called "Good Movie, Bad Movie." We'd go to Horkleys, the local video stop in Rexburg before Hollywood Video, and one of us would be in charge of picking out a good, quality film that we'd enjoy watching and one of us would be in charge of picking out the stinkiest, stanky, stank-bomb of a movie that we'd enjoy making fun of. It was good times. Sometimes the so-called "good" movie turned out to be lame, sometimes the "bad" movie wasn't bad enough to make fun of and, instead, was just mediocre. But most times we took great joy in holding our own personal Mystery Science Theater 3000 session and seeing which of us could be more witty. (I have to confess - usually, it was me.)

Some part of me still finds perverse joy in the concept of the bad movie - the film so bad, it's hilarious just to think about. I was thinking about this last night as I was flipping through the guide on the Dish and saw that, for the 497th time this month, Patrick Swayze's Roadhouse was playing on CMT. The movie itself is bad, real bad, but the description in the guide raised it (or lowered it, I guess) to a new level of laughable lameness. It was something like, "Hired to clean up a Missouri bar, a PhD bouncer woos the local doctor and tames the whole town." PhD bouncer? Woo? Tames the whole town? You can't tell me that description doesn't smack of awful goodness.



The SciFi Network (or SyFy as it has now been inexplicably rebranded) has these themed weekend suckathons - six movies in a row about dinosaurs running amok, six movies about killer insects, six movies about time travel, six movies about time traveling dinosaurs facing off with killer insects, etc. The movies, when I'm allowed to tune into them, are always bad. They star Lorenzo Lamas or Casper Van Dien. They're all filmed in the producer's backyard. They all look like the special effects were produced by the AV club at the local high school. Bad. But the descriptions make them hilarious: "Backpacking college students accidentally awaken a rock monster which ravages the countryside" or "A team of mercenaries is unprepared when attacked by a swarm of irradiated locusts." Awesome, right?

Anyway, it got me to thinking about some of the poorer films I've ever seen. There's all kinds of bad - something expensive and well produced that's morally bankrupt and spiritually empty (not to mention boring) like Kiera Knightley's The Duchess. There's mid-grade, B-list, just-trying-to-be-like-everybody-else date schlock like Can't Hardly Wait, Sweet Home Alabama, Love Actually, etc. And then there's C-grade, under-funded, how-did-this-ever-get-made garbage on film. From this particular category, I choose A Sound of Thunder.

Even though it stars Ed Burns, a respectable B-list actor, and Ben Kingsley (he was Ghandi for crying out loud), this movie was one of the worst things ever put on film. it's a loose adaptation of a Ray Bradbury short story. The idea is that, in the future, tourists can travel back in time. However, the rule is they can't change anything in the past. Naturally, someone does - one guy steps off the suspended path and smashes a butterfly 65 million years ago. Because of that one, small change, the future alters dramatically and everything goes to hell. It's a cool idea and, in Bradbury's story, it's left open and ominous enough that the reader can fill in the blanks with his imagination. The film version looks terrible, makes no sense, features Ghandi in some kind of white-shock fright wig, and, most importantly, has a climax that involves gorillas crossed with dinosaurs. Yep, you read that right, gorilla-saurs. Bad.



According to IMDB, the movie cost 53 million to make (where that money went, I have no idea - maybe Ben Kingsley required his trailer to be made out of solid gold or something) but only made 8 million worldwide. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film got an overall rating of 8%. That's out of a 100, in case you're wondering.

So it's the kind of movie that would be perfect to watch with the Admiral or my brothers because it's so bad, it's good to make fun of. Sadly, I watched it alone. Anyway, I'm curious - what's the worst movie you've ever seen? It doesn't have to be fun-bad. It can be just bad-bad - but I'd love to know what movie you saw that you would even recommend to an enemy.

8 comments:

Dan said...

I watched the rock monster movie.....I hang my head in shame. The worst movie I have ever seen? Has to be Candy Man 2. Should have been scary, but it was just goofy and cheesy and filled with that all important suck factor. Yes, I watched the whole thing.

Unknown said...

Speaking of specious movies, in Walborg yesterday I spied a "family pack" DVD with Against A Crooked Sky and Seven Alone. What's your guess... did I buy it?

Captain Admiral said...

I will do my darndest to keep this brief (you know how excitable I can get over crappy movies)...

I went to my Netflix account and pulled up the ratings that I have given on that site. I have rated over 1500 movies and I have given only eight one star ratings. These are, in my opinion, the worst of the worst. The ultimate vile offendors. So bad, they're really, really bad.

They are (in no particular order):

Bloodrayne
El Topo
Godzilla (1998)
Independence Day
Monsturd
Patch Adams
Rhinestone
Southland Tales

For the sake of context, I gave Road House three stars, and its sequel, Road Housse 2, two stars.

I have the feeling that some of you might want to argue...

Dave said...

Roadhouse rules!!

Worst of the worst...
Star wars holiday special

Paul and Linda said...

This post has caused great reflection upon way too many years of crummy movie watching, but I have arrived at one movie and two genres.

1 movie ... Planet of the Apes - Charleston Heston's undoing !

2 genres ... 1. Anything with Kirstie Alley and 2. with the exception of The Bournes, almost any sequel !

Erin said...

Me and my friends were fascinated with Maximum Overdrive when we were in high school. Although it is probably Emilio Estevez at his best, and has a complete soundtrack by AC/DC, it is still a terrible, terrible movie. But perfect for a MST3K-esque night!
-Ben
PS Mark toss me an invite so I don't have to check the blog from Erin's email.

Mark Brown said...

Interesting fact about Maximum Overdrive - it was directed by Stephen King himself. It's the only movie he's ever been in charge of and, ironically, it's one of the worst films made out of one of his stories.

DGM said...

Is anyone ever REALLY prepared for a swarm of irradiated locusts...?

THE best itssobaditsgood movie ever:

Attack of the Crab Monsters (AOTCM)

Crab Monster: So, you have wounded me. But I must grow a new claw. Well and good, for I can do it in a DAY! But will you grow new lives when I have taken yours from YOU?!