Monday, August 13, 2007

A Few Designs

These are a few of the designs I'm happiest (least unhappy) with.

The official logo.


This is the first of a planned series that tanked after three issues. Originally, I wanted to create a new book for every month of my first year here (one for every month of my "one year lease.") I made them in editions of 10, kept one or two for myself, and sent the extras to friends and family. It was a great plan but one that was hatched before school started and before I had a job. Both school and a job started for me in late August/early September and that's pretty much when the OYL project went the way of dodos and laser disks.

This first one was a week-by-week journal of my first month in Michigan. The end papers (which aren't visible in this picture) are made from free maps I got from an Avis rent-a-car place. One side is a street map of metro Detroit and the other side is a state map.

This was the third and unfortunately final OYL book. I wrote 52 short poems (the longest was 6 lines), printed them on blank playing cards, and then housed them in this handmade box. Looking at it now, I see all sorts of flaws that need correcting but I'm still happy with the idea.

This was a pre-OYL project called Travel Safe. I made a two-week expeditionary trip to Michigan in spring of 06 and kept a travel journal. The cover is one of the first linoleum block prints I attempted.

No comments: