Thursday, February 7, 2008

Why I Hate Supernanny

Last night, the reality TV show Supernanny came on and I begged, whined, and complained until Suzanne agreed to turn it off and watch a movie instead. She called me a “big baby” which I am but, in this case at least, I am also right. I have good reasons for disliking the show.

First of all, I want to point out something positive. I like the host, Jo Frost. She seems reasonable and intelligent and, what’s more, it’s really nice to see a chubby person on TV besides Jim Belushi. She looks like a real person and that’s a nice change. (Where Extreme Makeover Home Edition finds its designer/construction women who all look like Miss January is a mystery to me.) Host aside, the show itself is the problem.

There are two things I really dislike: #1. It’s completely exploitive and makes entertainment out of real people’s real pain. You can say the show is all about helping the family and happy endings but, if that’s the case, why are all the advertisements for it focused on children hitting/kicking/scratching/biting their parents and/or siblings? Why the lurid emphasis on small, obviously hurting kids doing things outrageous things? Why is a parent crying always the seeming money shot? The show makes a carnival sideshow out of families that need help, not publicity. Sure, Jo may teach them techniques that enable them to manage their families in a more healthy way (which is good) but the show also makes them into a spectacle for friends, neighbors, and classmates to feast on. If a kid is struggling in school because of his emotionally absent father, is being on television going to help or exacerbate that situation in the long run? The dad may become more involved but he’ll do it just in time to comfort his son who is being mocked at school for crying on national television because his dad doesn’t love him enough. Supernanny turns the viewer into a major league voyeur and a minor league sadist. We want to see these people hurt but only if everything comes out okay in the end. Speaking of which . . .

#2. The happy endings are manufactured, manipulated, and misleading. After spending three quarters of the show zooming in on the problems the family faces, the last five or seen minutes of the show are dedicated to blissful, golden images of familial togetherness and cooperation. The numbingly formulaic structure of the show suggests that overcoming dysfunction is merely a naughty-rug and job-list away. It’s television so of course everything is truncated and edited for time but still, it basically says that lifelong problems and miles-deep divisions can all be healed within a couple of days. I think this is an unfair and wildly unrealistic message to put across in a culture that is increasingly fraught with problems. People struggling with difficult children or problematic family relationships don’t need to hear that everything is easily solved. They don’t need to be fed the line of an easy fix. People who expect things to just magically resolve are going to end up disappointed.

This idea, of course, is the age-old criticism of television: that it presents a world in which even the most difficult of domestic problems is solved in under an hour. Sitcoms and dramas are one thing – we know they are fake. But so-called “reality” programming is a lot more insidious. It’s built on the idea that what we are seeing is actually happening. In its way, it’s a lot more persuasive and, therefore, troubling than regular programming.

So there you go. I think Supernanny, for all its good intentions, is bad for the families that participate and bad for the viewers who watch. I’d much rather watch a fictional show about almost anything than a “reality” show that showcases dysfunction.

Next week, if you’re lucky, I’ll write my long-planned but never-written post entitled, “Why October Road is a sign of the Apocalypse. “

5 comments:

Captain Admiral said...

I, too, despise reality TV (except Temptaion Island!) and I can't wait for the writer's strike to end so more fiction can find its way back onto my idiot box.
Go Team Venture!

Shauna said...

You bring up an excellent point.
A few years ago, a family here in Colorado had the Supernanny come to visit.
The title of the article in the paper read something to the effect of "where are they now . . ." and of course, they aren't much better. Failure #2 for all to see. I have even caught my kids criticizing the family on TV at times . . .

And yet, I think sometimes we have to learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others to go forward. Chances are the young boy who was on TV crying is already known as a problem in other arenas - now it will explain to his teachers why. (If his little 8 year old friends watch the show, that is a different story.)Maybe there will be a little more compassion from viewers/teachers/neighbors?
Afterall, it almost always has very little to do with the children, it is usually the parents that need to be trained or retrained.
(Sorry to be so verbose!)

Shalee said...

Hmmm....maybe now is a bad time to confess that I like Supernanny. I agree that it is exploitation to a degree, but the families do sign up for this of their own free will. I think she does a lot of good things for them and although I don't believe it is all butterflies and warm fuzzies as soon as she is finished, I do think that she teaches valuable tools that, if implemented, will make a positive difference OVER TIME. I would hope that people watching don't see it completely as a humiliation of a family, but as a family who sought out help and recognized they were in trouble, rather than continuing in a pattern of abuse or dysfunction,etc. Of course it is sad to see other people's pain, but I guess I come from the sick twisted mindset that people can learn from the trainwrecks of others.

melanie said...

Now if this post were about Celebrity rehab with Dr. Drew, I'd agree 100%. It's the same reasons that Dr. Phil replaced Oprah's timeslot in primetime, America loves it's dysfunction. I don't agree that Supernanny falls in this genre though, and I'll choose to watch something that can teach me ways to be a better parent instead of a poorly scripted/crude sitcom. When I start tuning into Jerry Springer, you are welcome to throw tomatoes.

I like Supernanny. I just don't understand why I subject myself to more child screaming after my own wild wolves are asleep.

Suzy said...

I think I like it for no other reason than it helps give me perspective with my own kids...as in, it could be SOOOO much worse than it actually is. At least they aren't biting and scratching me or running naked in the streets (both actually happened in past episodes).

Thanks for sticking up for me girls, maybe now I'll get to start watching it again...