Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weekend Round-Up


Weekend Round-up:

An American in Paris: As with Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, and Joan Crawford, I have found that Gene Kelly is worth all the hype. I'm not saying he's a Great Actor (to be said Master Thespian-style) because I don't think he was. I am saying, however, that the guy had serious wattage as a screen presence and could actually pull off being a full-fledged DANCER while always maintaining his masculinity and cool. I don't think there are many men who can do that. The Gershwin songs are fun, of course, but the seemingly endless dance sequence at the climax of the film just about put me under. It reminded me of Shirley Jones' dream sequence in Oklahoma! Really long and something only a true fan of musicals could appreciate. Also, what in the world is wrong with Leslie Caron's face?


Gilda: This film could be retitled Unpleasant People Doing Unpleasant Things. I've watched a lot of noirs filled with terrible characters with empty hearts but for some reason, Gilda just struck me as particularly bleak. I like Glen Ford and Rita Hayworth certainly isn't hard to look at - but jeeze. The two of them spend the entire movie smoldering, loving each other so much that they hate each other. Then things work out and they leave Buenos Aires together, happy and in love. All in all, it's just kinda stupid. I didn't enjoy it much at all. Rita Hayworth had awesome hair though.

Up next: On The Waterfront.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh...On the Waterfront. Karl Malden is great in it.

Dan said...

Coming from you least cultured brother, this should mean something. On the Waterfront rocks.

Paul and Linda said...

Stella. Stella. Stella.

We're ready for Brando and his t-shirt !