Monday, February 9, 2009

Weekend Roundup

Quickly then:


Angels with Dirty Faces: Once again proving that James Cagney is every bit as watchable and vital as any actor working today. He outclasses Edward O'Brien by far and generally raises the caliber of the whole movie. The film also features Humphrey Bogart in a rare, early role as a simpering bad guy.



The Lady from Shanghai: Much less imposing and obnoxious than Touch of Evil, Orson's other big film noir effort. More than anything, I'm struck by how apparent it is that Welles got his start in the live theater. Everything about his performance, his script, and his direction is just so back-of-the-hand-held-to-the-forehead dramatic. He loves his kooky characters too. In Touch of Evil, it was the guy who ran the hotel. In The Lady from Shanghai, it's George the weasely lawyer. Rita Hayworth looks strange as a blond.


Meet Me in St. Louis: Almost nothing happens. In terms of conflict, suspense, etc. there's almost none. It's much more about the Technicolor (which is really spectacular), the songs (which are catchy and pleasant for the most part), and Judy Garland (who is funny and magnetic). I've never seen her in anything other than the Wizard of Oz until now and I can see that she was a genuine talent and not just as a singer. She's fun to watch and you can't say that for everyone. This one was less painful than Oklahoma!

3 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Judy Garland emerges as an adult actress in this movie... past Oz and Mickey Rooney "Let's have a show" films. It is a glimpse into what she will later do with Van Johnson, and eventually with "A Star is Born". Part of the significance of St. Louie is the connection between her and Vincent Minnelli which resulted in their marriage and of course, later Liza. Her marriage to Vincent also began her substance abuse that would, in the end, become her death.

Darlene said...

I grew up on "St. Louis" and can quote most of the lines ("I just hate basketball" "Too sour?"). I wonder what I'd think of it if I were to watch it with a brain as an adult BEFORE I had it memorized.

Anonymous said...

I watched "A Star Is Born" in a Film History class at the University of Utah and the restoration story behind it is what got me interested in becoming a Film Archivist. I also decided I wouldn't say yes to any marriage proposals unless I can look at the guy the way Judy Garland looks at James Mason during the proposal scene in that film (before things started going to hell for those characters, of course). :)