Thursday, April 2, 2009

Naptime - I Wish

I'm feeling kind of blank this afternoon. The sky is overcast and a little rainy. I have stacks of essays to grade. It's really warm here in the Writing Lab. I feel like taking a nap.

But a nap is not in the cards. There's always more to do. Once I get this mini-mountain of papers out of the way (hopefully tonight), I still have PhD stuff to do, films to watch, pinecones to rake, etc. Busy, busy, busy.

Up next on the filmic front is Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney, The Naked Spur with Jimmy Stewart, and My Darling Clementine with Henry Fonda as Wyatt Erp. My last couple of outings -- Out of the Past and Key Largo literally put me to sleep. I know film noir is my area of emphasis but jeeze - it can get to be a bit much after a while. Out of the Past was positively ponderous. Hopefully, a musical and a couple of westerns will rouse me from my stupor.

6 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Oh My Darlin' ... La La La ! Two interesting facts abt this oldie and goody :

1. Besides Henry Fonda, there are many other great stars in this movie including Linda Darnell after whom my first name was chosen. She was a babe ! The name is where our similarity ends.

2. The Earps and the Clantons, Doc Holliday, and the judge whose name I don't recall, were all exciting "real" people who influenced many other films ... ie, "Tombstone". Big Time Westerns !

lateshoes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I miss college sometimes. The days when if you just "didn't feel like it," you could catch the bus home and curl up on the couch with an episode of Columbo.
Sigh.

Paul and Linda said...

Excuse the 2nd comment, but I have to know why Jimmy Buffet's name even came up ?

Mark Brown said...

It was part of a discussion in my creative writing class about authors who write about characters from their own cultural/ethnic background. One girl was arguing that only Chinese people should write about being Chinese. The thing about Jimmy Buffet was something I overheard. I don't think she wanted it to part of the general conversation - and with good reason.

Shalee said...

I am not working on anything as important as PhD stuff, but I have been a little foggy in the brain lately too! I think its all the snow...Hope the movies were good!