Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Paininthebuttock Oath


Everyone has their thing, right? The thing that sets them off and makes them irrationally, inexplicably angry? You know what I'm talking about. For some people, it's racism and injustice. For others, it's neglect and carelessness. For me, it's medical office staffers. That's right, the woman behind the sliding glass window that hands you the clipboard and takes your co-pay. That's her. She and her ilk are the evil force in the universe that fill me with rageful raging rage. I hate 'em.

Why, you might ask, am I pathologically angry at people who are just trying to do their job? It probably all stems back to when I was being treated for cancer. I'd never been appreciably sick in my life to that point and was feeling a little vulnerable and frightened at the time. I expected my doctors and all their helpers to be angels of mercy. I don't know if I had unrealistically high expectations or if my doctor and his staff just really sucked canal water.

All I know for sure is that when Suzanne and I were sitting out in the waiting room with half a dozen other people, eagerly awaiting the results of the biopsy of my recently removed man-bit, I could clearly and distinctly hear the office girl on the phone with the pathology department.

"Yeah, I'm calling about Mark Brown's path report."
Pause.
"Mark Brown. B-r-o-w-n."
Pause.
"It was a left orchiectomy."
Pause.
"You can't?"
Pause.
"You can't find his testicle?"
She puts her hand over the receiver at that point and says to the other woman behind the desk, "Path can't find this guy's testicle. Can you believe that?"

All of this was basically broadcast to the entire office. I doubt many people realized I was the guy whose - y'know - was missing but I just remember my face burning and feeling so angry and embarrassed. All of this was compounded when my doctor, who was one of the most interpersonally challenged people ever to earn a medical degree, was late as usual. He was never, ever on time. An average wait time for him was 45 minutes. He had meetings, other patients, obligations, blah blah blah. All I knew is that the pathology department lost an important part of me; his immensely insensitive office worker joked about it with the window open and everyone listening; and he was 45 minutes late. I was a veritable stew of frustrated aggression.

Eventually, I had it out with Mr. Doctor-man. It wasn't nice but, in terms of sticking up for myself and taking charge of my treatment, it really was one of my prouder moments. I called him up and informed him that he "worked for me, not the other way around." I told him his perpetual lateness was a sign of arrogance and disrespect and that his office staff were a bunch of insensitive clowns. Looking back on it now, I can hardly believe that this 150K+ a year doctor took all of this abuse from me. I'm glad he did because, frankly, I was right. But I'm still surprised.

Anyway, ever since then, I've been extremely sensitive about the slightest hint of disrespect from my doctors and especially their staff. The office workers are the gatekeepers, see. They're the ones with the specific mission of protecting the doctor, making sure his or her schedule stays reasonable, keeping out the uninsured riffraff, etc. Consequently, some chirpy little blond in brightly-colored scrubs with her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail can seem like Satan himself when she's insisting that the doctor simply can't see you for another two weeks.

The reason this is all on my mind is because I recently tried to get an appointment with our new family doctor. I've got a couple of prescriptions that are running out and I need them refilled. My cholesterol needs it and my peace of mind needs it. But little Miss Chirpy brushed that aside and said simply that there just weren't any openings for new patients for two weeks. If I were an "established" patient, she could fit me in but since new patients take more time, she just couldn't swing it any earlier. I was astounded. Her lack of creativity and utter unwillingness to help me in any way just about sent me over the edge. It's like doctors take the Hippocratic Oath, swearing to do no harm and help everyone they can, but their staff take the Paininthebuttock Oath, swearing to make it as hard as possible to get to the guy who took the good oath. Grrr.

So I just called a different doctor, got an appointment for two days later, and had a "new patient" exam that took ten minutes. I've got my scrips and all is well with the world. But an angry, bitter part of me wants to call the other doctor and say, "Not that it matters to you but you just lost out on my insurance dollars thanks to your obnoxious, little worker out front. Maybe you oughta have a talk with her before she drives more potential patients across the river to someone who isn't SO busy."

Of course, the doctor would then light a cigar with a hundred dollar bill and say, "What, like I want more patients? Don't you realize golf season is coming up?"

Oh well.

Medical office staff. Beware.

7 comments:

Darlene said...

I so hear you on this one.

After a year or two of lots of doctor's visits, I found myself wanting to become a nurse just so I could be nice to people, since no one else was.

I'm glad you spoke up to that guy.

I once waited in a waiting room for 45 minutes (receptionist forgot I was there) and then, once I was undressed in the little exam room, heard the doctor just outside the door tell the nurse that I'd "just have to reschedule," since I was so late.

Karen said...

Succintly said Mark.

Unknown said...

You have just described one of the main things wrong with health care in the United States. The arrogance you describe is particularly bad in the Magic Valley.

I'm glad you spoke up, too.

lateshoes said...

Word!

Jennifer said...

That was great. I had an experience once with a doctor that was an hour and a half late. I was about 8 months prego with Emily and trying to fit the appointment into my lunch hour. I hadn't eaten and I was preg with 1st baby. That combo = Psychotic. Finally after 1.5 hours, the nurse comes into say that I'm only going to see the nurse practitioner. I was pretty pissed that I had already waited all that time and now was being shoved off to an underling. It was a first pregnancy, I was so excited about the monthly appointments, I practically slept outside the office the night before. So to take my revenge, I told her I thought it was stupid, slammed a bathroom door and didn't wipe off the cup after I urinated in it. Pretty childish, now that I think of it. A couple of appointments later, I noticed they made a note of it IN MY CHART!! Like Elaine from that Seinfeld episode. That got me all pissed again. Don't cross with pregnant or sick people. It's just not smart.

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare!!! I think doctors are like auto mechanics: once you find a good one, stick with 'em! Because there are so many duds out there. I used to work for a doctor when I was in high school. He'd start appts. at 10am but NEVER show up til noon...and those patients would literally be waiting for 2 hrs...it's called hubris and you're a badass for speaking your mind! Unfortunately, with the insurance companies and the racket they have going with copays & negotiated fees, doctors get a lot less than they used to and they don't have much incentive to try hard...unless they're naturally ethical, which is hard to find.

Shalee said...

AMEN! Completely agreed! I think they should take the policy of some restaurants and if they have not delivered their services in a certain reasonable length of time, its on them!! As far as the tact and professionalism thing, I think its just an unfortunately common societal flaw...they get paid- why be good at what you're doing?