Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bringing Up Badness

As I have been watching these classical Hollywood films for school, I've decided that, for the most part, films and actors really do live up to their reputations. Humphrey Bogart really is charismatic, wolfish, and interesting to watch. Sunset Boulevard really is fascinating, well-written, and well-acted. Joan Crawford really is complex, enigmatic, and magnetic. All true.

However, occasionally, films or actors don't live up to the hype and I don't know what the big deal is. As fun as it is to watch John Wayne the first time, once you've seen one of his performances, you've seen them all. Touch of Evil, as I blogged about previously, is a hyper-stylized exercise in "Look at me, ma! I'm directing a movie!" by Orson Welles. As effective as 95% of it is, the final few minutes of The Long, Hot Summer are lamer than Paul Sheldon, post-hobbling.



My latest disappointments are Bringing Up Baby and Katherine Hepburn. Admittedly, having the little TMC host-guy come out prior to the movie and announce that it's "one of the funniest movies ever made" sort of set it up for failure. I mean, that kind of hyperbole is pretty hard to live up to. More than that though, I think maybe I'm just not made for screwball comedy. Some part of me, the part that yells at the tv screen when no one's around, just watches the characters and thinks, "Shut up! If you would just shut up and listen to each other for ten seconds, the problem this stupid film is centering around would be solved." I think it's the contrivance that's bothersome. It strains my suspension of disbelief and my patience to watch Katherine Hepburn prattle on endlessly while Cary Grant stammers and stumbles endlessly. It's like a Mamet play that's supposed to be funny and zany but isn't.

Katherine Hepburn. Don't like her. Never have. Didn't like her as an old, creaky On Golden Pond lady and didn't like her as a young, kittenish Bringing Up Baby heiress. I didn't even like Cate Blanchett "channeling" her in Scorcese's The Aviator. I just don't see what the big deal is. Her bizarro, old-money accent and angular looks just never did a thing for me. As Susan Vance in Bringing Up Baby, I just wanted to punch her in the face.

So, sadly, I didn't make it all the way through the movie. I watched over half of it and then, due to the lateness of the hour and the stupidness of the movie, I shut it off and went to bed. I'm still putting it on my list of watched films because I think I can talk about it in a useful way if called upon - but it's definitely not going on my list of Great Films to Rewatch in the Future.

10 comments:

Captain Admiral said...

Oh, man, I agree completely. I've never liked Hepburn, and watching Bringing up Baby is like watching a Three's Company marathon while running a cheese grater over my knuckles. Yecch.
Except for Mr. Ferley. He rocks.
P.S. The only time I ever liked Hepburn is when Martin Short impersonated her on SNL.

Mark Brown said...

What's weird is I almost included a comparison between BUB and Three's Company - they share the obnxious dilemas and "crazy mix'em ups" that could be settled with ten seconds of intelligent conversation.

Ferley is awesome.

lateshoes said...

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Katherine Hepburn.
She looks like Mr. Burns and is as vile on the inside as literal pus and guts.
I read her autobiography the summer I lived in West Yellowstone because it was in the 5 cent bin at the Bookworm.
It confirmed everything I never liked about her.
Boo.

Mitch said...

MB,

These are fightin' words, you know that, don't you? Katharine Hepburn was more of a man than you'll ever be.

Expect a vitriolic counterpost from yours truly soon.

MLM

Mark Brown said...

Spew away, my Hepburn-loving friend. It won't change the fact that Martin Short made a better Katherine than Katherine did. At least when Cate Blanchett impersonated her, I knew it was actually Cate Blanchett under the obnoxious-talking, pants-wearing surface.

Ang said...

I have no visceral opinion about Hepburn, but you earned yourself 2 points in the esoteric-metaphorical-quip contest going on in my head (only my friends with good blogs get to play by the way) with your _Misery_ reference. Bravo!

Mitch said...

Oh, now it's on.

And by the way, Kate would tan your hide for calling them "pants." They're slacks.

Mark Brown said...

Bring it , Friar. Bring it on.

Also, I want to out my friend and blog-reader, Jennifer V. She called me earlier today on another matter and mentioned that she loves Bringing Up Baby but didn't want to post because she didn't want my legions of anti-BUB readers to dogpile on her.

I have outed her. Jennifer V. liked Bringing Up Baby. There. It's been said.

Anonymous said...

I'm no Hepburn fan either. I don't mind screwball comedy but think it's done much better in His Girl Friday. The only thing notable about Bringing Up Baby in my view is all the dirty references they slipped in to get past the censors.

Jennifer said...

Ack...I like it, ok? It was funny. I laughed out loud. I like screwball comedy. I like Katherine Hepburn. I'm out.