Monday, November 24, 2008

We're Back


We spent Saturday looking at about a dozen houses. The girls stayed at the Bishop's house for the first half of the day and then, after lunch, we picked them up and they looked at the last few with us. It was a long, draining day that was discouraging at times. Suzanne and I had both picked out houses online that we thought would be "the one" and they both turned out to be comically, positively not. Her house was beautiful and brand-new on the inside - and it was also smack in the middle of downtown businesses. The backyard was a parking lot. And the side yard was a parking lot. Across the street? Parking lot. Suzanne just walked around the house saying, "This place is breaking my heart!"

The house I'd picked out turned out to be some freak kit-home from the 1950s that was part ski chalet, part-Jetson's kitchen, part torture dungeon. The less said about it, the better. Generally speaking, the communities we expected to wow us and to offer lots of great houses didn't. There's a big difference between looking at some tiny photos online and actually being in the house, you know?

Anyway, a couple of the houses we looked at were promising so Sunday after church we went back and looked at the first home we walked through in Ottowa and another one in a small community called Tonica. We felt good about what we'd seen, made a decision between us, and told the realtor we'd call her the next day.

We got on the road around four and made pretty good time until somewhere around the Indiana/Michigan border. Something happened. Something bad. I have no idea why but I suddenly got really, really sick. Bad. Like stopping three times to throw up in various locations around our fair state. I had the chills and the shakes and I felt like I was going to die. Suzanne drove most of the way home and allowed me to just sit and whimper.

When we finally made it home, I really, really, really threw up. Later, I asked Suzanne, "Did you hear me in there?" She replied, "Dude, people in China heard you."

So once it was all over, I drew the hottest bath known to man, a bath so hot I could feel my flesh separating from my bones as I got in, and I just lay there, half folded up because the tub isn't long enough for me, and boiled myself alive for about half an hour. When I could barely pull myself out of the tub, I decided that work was out of the question for the next day. I sent my boss at text around midnight to say that I wouldn't be in.

So now it's morning. Everyone else is still asleep. We're all pretty washed out from our trip. It was a lot of houses, a lot of meeting new ward members, a lot of driving, a lot of puking. Draining, you know?

Anyway, the offer on our (hopefully) future house goes in today so we'll see how it goes. Wish us luck.

8 comments:

Dan said...

I felt that sick once, it sucks! Hope you get feeling better and that your offer gets accepted.

Paul and Linda said...

That sick plus sudden onset usually means food poisoning rather than flu. Not always, but usually. Did you eat differently than the others anytime in the previous 24 hrs ?

You did not sound well when you called on Sat. as if a cold was coming on. Both Paul and I commented on your voice.

If it is the flu your daughters will soon be "puking in the bucket" as Ave so eloquently puts it ! They not only get the flu more quickly than any two I have ever known, but with more DRAMA than anyone I have ever known save it be their Aunt Shauna who was known to sleep on the floor in front of the commode. Is that TMI ?

We are anxious to see a picture of the "selection".

brownbunchmama said...

I am so sorry you were/are sick. Sounds like food poisoning. DId you eat something everyone else didnt? Could have also been stress & fatigue but I hope you won't have any more "SPELLS" like that.

brownbunchmama said...

did you check the length of the bathtub in the house you are selecting? Just a thought? I guess having to curl up in the tub is better than not having a tub, but it's good to have one long enough if you can getit! Love, Mom

popcultchick said...

Wait, so why didn't you want the futuristic ski dungeon? It sounds perfect!

Shalee said...

Nothing aids recuperation like human crockpot action in my opinion. Best of luck with the offer! :)

Ang said...

I want to see pictures of the Jetson's ski dungeon. But that's probably illegal?

Frustrating house hunting AND food poisoning (hopefully it's food poisoning and you're not allergic to Illinois--or maybe you picked something up in the Jetson's ski dungeon? Yikes.) I wish you luck on the offer, though. House stuff is so nerve-wracking.

Jennifer said...

Hilarious that both moms are sending you basically the same message at the same time. "Sounds like food poisoning, Sweetie Pie." I'm still laughing. And totally jealous. Wish I had two someones like that to care about me.