Monday, November 17, 2008

The Missing


So snow has come to Detroit. We had a few flakes earlier in the week, but yesterday, it really came down. We drove to our nephew's baptism in Bloomfield Hills and, at times, the snow was so thick and fast, I had to slow down to only ten or twenty miles an hour. I've never liked snow, never been a big fan of winter - but there is something pretty magical about that first storm. It's transformative and beautiful. Of course, eventually, it just becomes cold and wet and dangerous and I end up hating the winter season like a suck-egg dog. (Seriously, five bucks to anyone who can identify the American short story that reference is from. Exact line of dialogue: "Ah hates yuh lak uh suck-egg dog.")

But for now, it's pretty and I don't mind it. It means I don't have to rake leaves for a while and it makes being at home all the more cozy.

We ate at a Leo's Coney Island on Saturday for lunch and the warm, slightly greasy air and butt-kicking Greek salad got me to thinking about the things I will miss about Michigan and Detroit. Now, keep in mind that I am glad to be getting the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of this gray, depressing, forsaken city and state. However, that's not to say that there aren't wonderful people, places, and things here that I love very much and will miss a lot. I think I will occasionally post lists of what I will miss about this place.

1. Being near Suzanne's family and friends. This has easily been the best thing about being here for her and for me. Paul and Linda, Ben and Erin, Jeff and Amy - it's just really nice to be able to see them more than once a year. Having Suzanne's friends like Becky, Casey, and Sheila around is nice because when Suzanne is happy, I'm happy.

2. Coney Island restaurants. In this state, you can't throw a rock without hitting a Coney. They are mostly mid- to low-end dives but they consistently serve awesome Greek salads, lemon rice soup, and crispy fries that burn the flesh right off your tongue if you're too eager.

3. The Detroit Institute of Arts. It's the fifth largest art museum in the country and has world-class exhibits. I always feel refreshed and enlivened after I've spent and hour or two there.

4. Racial and cultural diversity. I'm not sure but I'm betting small-town, farm-centered Illinois Valley probably isn't as diverse as Detroit, Michigan. I'll miss being equi-distant from Mexican Village, Greektown, Hamtramck, and Dearborn. I'll miss the groups of Middle Eastern girls moving across Wayne State campus like flocks of glossy, glamorous birds.

5. The Vos family. Chris is a great guy, Jennifer is really funny and smart, and their kids are really excellent people to a one. I'll miss being their home teacher and miss going over to their house for games and appetizers. (My cholesterol will not miss the appetizers. No, it will not.)

6. My students. As maddening as they are, I'm going to miss their humor, their weird dignity, and even some aspects of their sometimes-inscrutable code of honor.

There will certainly be more as time goes on but that's a good list for now. I've got some lunch to get to.

9 comments:

lateshoes said...

I think it's Zora Neal Hurston, but I can't remember the exact story.

Mark Brown said...

You'll have to do better than that if you want my five bucks.

lateshoes said...

I remember that her husband (the "suck-egg dog") gives her a box with a snake in it as a "present" and that it kills him in the end.

That's got to be worth at least 3 bucks. ;-)

Suzy said...

You're going to make me cry here, ya know?

Unknown said...

"Sweat" Zora Neale Hurston

Jennifer said...

You made me cry.

Paul and Linda said...

Extra beets on that greek salad, please ! And if your tummy's groaning, there is no more comforting bowl than one of lemon-rice soup ! Beats chicken noodle all to heck !

I'll just betcha Oglesby, Illinois will never have a mayor like the infamous Big "K", either.

Mark Brown said...

Hmmm. I may have to split the prize between Tracy and Clark. Tracy had the author and the description and Clark came through with the actual title. You can both collect your 2.50 the next time I see you.

popcultchick said...

Okay, but you'll only be 2 hours from Chicago (which is somehow still considered "the suburbs") and, minus all the sentimental people stuff, all the things you'll miss are here--ONLY WAY MO' BETTERER!

You can bring the girls into the city to the Museum Campus, where you'll find the Art Institute, the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and Museum of Science and industry all within spitting distance of one another. There's also a Children's Museum at Navy Pier, if you're willing to risk your kids screaming that they want to go on the Ferris wheel instead of the museum. And even small town Illinois is full of Greeks and Mexicans, so there will be no shortage of food.

And, forget the Coney--in small town Illinois, you're about to meet the Pony. This is an open-face sandwich made of Wonderbread covered in meat, waffle-cut fries and either gravy or that weird radioactive orange cheese (or both!). Take that, arteries!