Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Spiritual Film

I wrote yesterday that the Feminist Film Theory class was my last at WSU but that's not exactly true. I'm also doing a directed study with one of my professors centering around Paul Schrader's book Transcendental Style in Film. Schrader's whole idea is that filmmakers who make "spiritual" movies have developed a certain style that can be identified and analyzed. He focuses on Robert Bresson, Yasujiro Ozu, and Carl Dreyer so I'll be watching a couple films each by those guys plus a couple by Andrei Tarkovsky and the Dekalog by Krysztof Kieslowski. At the end, I've got The Last Temptation of Christ by Scorcese and The Passion of the Christ by Gibson.

Obviously, all this is meant to help me in making my case for Mormon cinema as a academically viable research subject. I'm excited by it and really interested in it but it will also mean a heck of a lot of work -- about 2500 pages to read and close to 40 hours worth of movies to watch. Busy, busy, busy.

No comments: