Friday, April 4, 2008

Batman Began


I post this because #1 - it's cool and I like comics and #2 - I think it's an interesting example of how something huge can have tiny, humble beginnings. These three panels led to 5 movies, a tv show, numerous cartoons, movie serials, countless toys and product tie-ins, untold imitators, and hundreds of different interpretations. Dick Sprang and Bob Kane made this silly little cartoon about a rich guy who dresses up as a bat to fight crime and now, across the world, everyone recognizes this:






Anyway, I'm sure I could draw more meaningful parallels -- how my children began as tiny masses of cells, how the church began with only six members in a log cabin, how Suzanne was "the girl with the pretty eyes" in poetry class, etc. But the message remains the same: important, influential stuff usually starts small.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

It's true. So many universal symbols that are easily recognizable by almost everybody. It makes you wonder what it is about our brains that's such easy bait.