Thursday, December 11, 2008

Clarification

I feel I need to clarify something about my "Can't Bring Myself To Care" post from a few days ago. In my mind, there's a difference between not caring about something and actively disliking it. I was going more for the former and not the latter.

In other words, it's not that I dislike U of M or Wii or BYU or whatever. I don't. It's just that I can't bring myself to invest mental or emotional energy in them. They just don't do it for me, y'know? They don't blow my hair back, toss my salad, light my fire, or pine my tree. There isn't anything wrong with them or with the people who like them - they're just not right for me.

Admittedly, I do feel antipathy for Dr. Phil and, while I hold nothing against BYU or University of Utah per se, I do think the raging, foaming-at-the-mouth, "this is the most important thing in the world, you're a bad human being if you're wearing the wrong color sweatshirt this Saturday" mentality that surrounds the rival games is more destructive and obnoxious than it is fun. But generally speaking, I was just trying to articulate a few (not a complete comprehensive list, thank you very much, Ellen) things for which I don't feel much or any passion. That's all.

So go and rock out to Guitar Hero, my friends. Watch According to Jim until your eyeballs burn out of their sockets. Yes, put on the blue and maize and scream across the Big House at all the people wearing green and white. There is nothing wrong with it at all if that's what puts the sour cream on your life's burrito. I'm all for it.

No comments: