Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ruined by Remake


I bought "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers on itunes yesterday. Despite its unfortunate association with Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis in Top Gun, it remains a terrific, under appreciated song. Bill Medley's sonorous baritone and Bobby Hatfield's otherworldly falsetto combined with Phil Spector's "wall of sound" production make for an electrifying experience if you really listen close. The echoing "Baby, baby, please, I need your love" at the end is positively ecstatic. I've already listened to it three or four times since last night.

One thing I noticed as I was searching for it on itunes last night was that the Hall and Oates version of the song is also available. I listened to the preview snippet and was reminded of how utterly sucky and lame that version is. It's awful. It's like the two fanciest guys in the high school choir singing it at the junior prom. It's such a pale, tame rendition, it makes me angry just to hear it.

It got me to thinking about other remakes that have been stupendously bad. Keep in mind, of course, that I'm interested in remakes and reboots as I have written about here before. I think reimagined art has the potential to teach and enlighten and entertain. I'm not a complete purist who thinks nothing should ever be remade - but I'm also among the millions of level-headed Americans who saw the remake of The Dukes of Hazzard movie coming from a mile away and knew, sight unseen, it was going to be about as good as a meal prepared by Oscar the Grouch and Kate Moss. Some things shouldn't be remade simply because they were dumb to begin with, but other things can be remade IF there's talent and vision and a purpose involved.

There have been some song remakes that have added something new and cool to the original. I love Social Distortion's version of "Ring of Fire" and think the Lemonheads remake of Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson" with its thrumming, heavy baseline is really cool. "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies is great along with pretty much every other cover they've made. I like "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, U2, and the Indigo Girls. I enjoy The Beat's cover of "Tears of a Clown" almost as much as I enjoy the real thing.

However, some remakes are basically insults to the original, to the listener, and to non-hearing impaired people everywhere. In addition to the Hall and Oates shamefest that is "You've Lost That Loving Feeling," I would also like to nominate Gloria Estefan's version of "Everlasting Love," Tina Turner's remake of John Waite's "Missing You," "I Drove All Night" by Celine Dion, and especially "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" as killed by Michael Bolton to the Bad Remakes Hall of Shame.



What about you, my four devoted readers? Any musical remakes you can't abide? Any remakes you think are as good as or better than the original?

(Full-disclosure: Every obscure artist mentioned above was introduced to me by Captain Admiral. My musical world would be much more narrow without many nights spent listening at the Galleria with him at the turntable.)

10 comments:

Ang said...

Okay, off the top of my head, two good remakes: Tori Amos' remake of The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like Mondays" and Johnny Cash's remake of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt." (Although the originals of both of those are good too.)

Still thinking on the bad ones. And Celine's "I Drove All Night" does deserve a special award in the remake hall of shame. (Although is it weird that when she's interviewed I always listen? She's so fascinating in her weirdness. You never know what she might say.)

popcultchick said...

Great Remakes:
Snake River Conspiracy's cover of The Cure's "Lovesong"
Marilyn Manson's covers of "Tainted Love" and "Personal Jesus"
The Get Up Kids' cover of The Cure's "Close to Me"
Local H's cover of Britney Spears's "Toxic"

Bad, Evil Covers:
311's cover of "Lovesong"
Madonna's cover of "American Pie"
Celine Dion's cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long"

And, from a movie perspective, making Disturbia was probably one of the worst ideas ever. Shia LaBeouf, I hope Hitchcock haunts you until you die or apologize.

Jennifer said...

anyone who tries to remake anything by the beatles should be taken behind the barn and shot. hilary duff remaking material girl by madonna is a shame. madonna remaking american pie is also shameful. good remake = blake lewis you give love a bad name and david cook billie jean. sorry for bad grammer and lack of capitals holding baby and typing with one hand.

i take back original words. i liked helter skelter by u2 and the beatles were the original onthat. also has anyone heard guns and roses do live and let die? it is one of my favorites.

i make it a rule to never listen to celine dion original or remake. somethings weren't intended for human ears.

Jennifer said...

movies now?

saw what looked like remake of breakfast club. was ready to disembowel myself in protest. it was just a jcpenney commercial. phew.

parent trap
herbie
psycho
red dragon
pink panther
charlie and the chocolate factory
get smart (technically tv show)

none of these remakes necessary

Suzy said...

Ever listen to the remake album of the Carpenters music? Love it. Although I still love Karen the most.

And the original Charlie and the Chocolate factory was WAY better than the weirdly effeminate Johnny Depp one. I get shivers just thinking about it.

Paul and Linda said...

Well-l-l, I have this to say about that ... Do not touch Elvis ! Any of you wannabees ! And you miserable copy-cats of Willie Nelson and Ronnie Millsap, who sang country when it was truly country, be gone !

But the following have improved upon the originals in many ways ...

Michael Buble' leaves F.Sinatra in the dust in "Foggy Day (in London town)", and "I've got you under my skin".
Diana Krall with "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" also Frank.
and Carly Simon whittles "Wee Small Hours of the Morning" into a fine piece.

Sometimes it is the effort to improve on the unimprovable that bombs; sometimes it is the fact that Singer A has more talent than Singer B, and sometimes, at least with me, there is an emotional tie of some sort with the original, and I resent people messing around with my emotional ties !

Mitch said...

Bad cover:
"I Think We're Alone Now" ala Tiffany (originallly Tommy James and Shondells)

Decent Cover:
"La Bamba" ala Los Lobos (originally Richie Havens)

A cover I don't actually know if it is good or bad but I secretly like:
"Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" ala Marilyn Manson (originally Eurythmics)

Best Cover:
"Man Who Sold the World" ala Nirvana (originally David Bowie)
tied w/
"Let's Dance" ala M. Ward (originally David Bowie)

popcultchick said...

As an addendum to my previous comment, let me also note that the Smashing Pumpkins' cover of Depeche Mode's "Never Let Me Down Again" was a bad plan. Both versions are good, but there's something, like the fact that Dave Gahan's voice is at least a full octave lower than Billy Corrigan's, that makes the original infinitely better.

Oh, and Red Dragon, the remake of Manhunter, was vastly superior to the original.

Captain Admiral said...

Good music covers: Black Flag's Louie Louie (only recommended for punk lovers); Have Love Will Travel (recorded by various artists including the Sonics, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and (ugh) Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi) by the Black Keys; and the Pixie's cover of the Jesus and Mary Chains' Head On.
Bad music covers: The Cardigans buthchering of Black Sabbaths' Iron Man sucks out loud; Love Hurts by Nazareth has been ruined by the likes of Boy George, Cher and Heart, but oddly enough Joan Jett's version is not bad; and perhaps worst of all offenders, Vanilla Ice thinking he somehow had the talent to cover Satisfaction by the Stones. All three of these examples register as musical blasphemy. Seriously, I get angry when I think about/hear any of these stinkers.

Captain Admiral said...

I forgot another horrible remake. Duran Duran (old, white, unhip) covering Public Enemy's (crazy, black, political) 911 is a joke. Bad, bad, bad.