Monday, December 1, 2008

I Did It

It gave me considerable anxiety over the weekend and I had a headache from gritting my teeth for most of today. However, at 1 p.m. this afternoon, I marched into Bev's (my boss) office and handed her my letter of resignation. She's gotten in the face of other employees in the past who have tried to resign with dignity so I really wasn't sure how she was going to handle it. I half expected her to say, "Three weeks notice? Here's some notice for you: get out!"

But she didn't. She was disappointed and it was obviously another burden for her but she didn't snap and try to make me feel awful. In fact, she said nice things. She teared up and said she was sad for me to leave because I've been "the best teacher we've had probably in the history of the program." Not bad, eh?

She agreed to let me stay on for the next three weeks and also to let me help her find a suitable replacement. (Her last four hires have been abysmal disasters.) So that's one less thing to have to stress about over the next 30 days. Sigh.

2 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

A word to the wise ... walk on tip-toe ! I don't trust that woman !

Captain Admiral said...

Dignity is overrated.
If things go horribly wrong in the next 30 days, make sure you leave spectacularly like Narrator in Fight Club, or Lester Burnham in American Beauty.