Friday, August 29, 2008

McCain Has A Stroke (Of Genius)

Alright, I promise I'm not going to turn this blog into a political forum but I do have to give credit where credit is due:

McCain's choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is a stroke of genius. I was certain that choosing Romney would have been his death sentence. Not only would the Mormon thing have stood in his way, it would have been like wearing a t-shirt that said, "I only care about rich, white men like me." By choosing a 44 year old woman from a far-off state who likes to snowmobile and used to work as a commercial fisherman (fisherwoman?), his campaign suddenly seems a lot less out of touch and exclusionary. Suddenly, he is fighting Obama's youth, unusual-but-still-blue-collar upbringing, and physical charm with some of the very same things.



There are questions, of course, about the fact that she's been governor for less than two years and before that she was mayor of a town with less than 6000 people and after that she was some kind of county official. I mean, if McCain was grousing about Obama's experience, this is probably not the smartest choice. But we're not talking about that right now. We are simply acknowledging a masterful strategic choice.

Well played, cranky old man, well played.

2 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Well, she made me cry ! Cry that she gave the people of Alaska money back from the State inheritance. They were paying $4.58 a gallon today; cry that she was a coach, and a PTA Mom before becoming involved on any level; cry that she was a Mayor before she was a Governor; cry that she blew the whistle on corruption, and especially cry that she had this little Down's baby and stuck by her personal anti-abortion stand.

Mitt who ???

Shalee said...

I agree. My tolerance for McCain increased greatly when he chose such a likeable VP. A small town, conservative hockey mom....what's not to like?? I hope she serves Biden a slice of humble pie at the debate!!!!!