Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Working Wednesday

After two firings, a walk out, a student's death and the subsequent funeral, little boss decided the staff and students needed something positive here at work. So, for the next three days, we're painting. Yup, that's Rowland's idea -- no classes, just painting.

It's actually not all that bad of an idea. It gets us all doing something, it's different, and will certainly help brighten up our little corner of Corktown. But I kind of hate painting so it's not all that cool to me. On the bright side, the hallway and stairwell I'm in charge of are almost done and I've got some good student workers on my team. I work the roller, slapping on big swaths of paint, and the students do all the detail work with the edging brushes. Since edging is the part of painting that most makes me not want to do it, it's not a bad deal.

For lunch, I had my first pasty and it was divine. Suzanne and I have started going to this little bakery on the corner of 5 mile and Newburg to get an occasional treat (brownies, doughnuts, cookies, etc.) and yesterday, the woman behind the counter asked if we'd ever tried their pastys. I told her I didn't even know what one was. So she brings one out and it turns out to be a kind of meat pie - you can get them in chicken or beef and they're basically a pot pie only shaped like a calzone or something.



They were four bucks apiece so we each got one. As I said, I just had mine and I was very satisfied. I'm always pleased when I come across something new that I like. The Cornish pasty from the corner bakery is now on my list of good things in the world.

(Also on this list are the now non-existent Food Center doughnut of Rexburg, the fudgy brownie of the Wooden Nickel of Jackson Hole, the bacon cheeseburger of Casey's of downtown Detroit, the individually hand-squeezed glass of lemonade of some random store in West Yellowstone, and the coconut chicken from the Garden Cafe in Twin Falls.)

4 comments:

melanie said...

I think pasty is a good word to summarize Detroit.

Paul and Linda said...

It actually summarizes Michigan as pasty (pass-tee) were brought to the UP by the Welsh of Cornwell to be used as a sandwich-type lunch when working in the mines. Hence Cornish Pasty is the correct name having originated in Wales.

A true pasty contains roast beef or lamb, carrots, onions, potatoes, and the secret ingredient (ala Iron Chef !!!) rutabaga pronounced by the UPers as root-a baggie. This is mixed together with left-over gravy and then sealed in pastry and baked or fried and served w/extra gravy.

TMI ??? Dad loves pasties as served by his Grandmother Day. She made them using ground beef. Your Grandmother Day never made them. I made them in the day, but did not make very good pie crust, so usually bought them at that Pasty Shop on 7 Mi near Joe's. Somebody's Mother ran that place.

They are not to be confused with the "pasties" worn by Strippers ! ;o)

Anonymous said...

People live on pastys (pasties?) in the UK. That, and curry, because most other British food lacks...umm, a certain quality called...edibility.

Darlene said...

dang, I'm hungry