Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Blog Is A Toddler!

On this day in history, pop artist Andy Warhol was born as was Romantic-era poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Also born on this day, on a steamy afternoon in downtown Detroit, was our very own Norse Penny Press blog, repository of misty-eyed reminiscences, windy rants, various cartoons, clever quotes of the week, and assorted nerdery of all types. Two hundred and thirteen entries and over ninety thousand words later, here we are.

In celebration of the last twelve months, here are links to twelve of my favorite posts:

The Arms of (snicker) Orion: The tale of dancing in the spotlight with Alisa Millar and suddenly being overtaken by a laughing fit.

Story Time: A small anecdote from Mark and Tony history that my daughters latched onto.

Projector: I list off some of my dream projects.

Detroit? Isn't That The City That's Always On Fire? The day my faith in Detroit pretty much went in the toilet.

Post-Valentine's Day Wrap Up: I love love!

Why Winter Is Evil- Reason #63: In which I detail what it's like trying to scrape rock hard ice in the dead of Michigan winter.

Potato Gigante! Because, seriously, have you ever seen bigger potatoes in your life?

I Am Not Made of Velveeta: My thoughts on being a really efficient procrastinator.

Status Symbols: I like this one because it's a subject that interests me still and it is the all time record holder for comments posted by readers. Fourteen comments - which is pretty good for a blog that only has thirty or so invited readers.

Steven R. Covey's New Career: This is one of my all-time favorites. I posted the new R.E.M. video to Supernatural Superserious in which Michael Stipe wears a suit and glasses, making him look like a general authority. I thought he bore a passing resemblance to Steven R. Covey so I invented this whole thing about SRC starting a music career. What pleased me more than anything else is that at least a couple of people (Cough - karencleveland!) thought it was real.

It Finally Happened: In which I describe my new, super-sleek, space-age wallet. What tickles me is how many of my family members have said, "So let's see your fancy wallet." For the record, the desk clerk in Cheyenne, Wyoming thought it was "sweet!"

"I don't even like baseball" or "I"ve gotta stop wearing this shirt!" In which I tell the sad story of how I don't like baseball but insist on wearing a baseball shirt. People ask me about the sport and I lie and pretend like I know what I'm talking about. Sigh.

So there you have it. A year's worth of Mark's ramblings. Happy Anniversary, readers. Go buy yourselves something nice.

5 comments:

Suzy said...

Happy Anniversary!! It's been a fun year with NPP!! I wish there was some way to chronicle your self-portraits and quotes over the past year. Those have been a highlight as well.

And I thought I heard you say there'd be prizes, ah hem!!

Mark Brown said...

I did say that. I also said there'd be dancing girls.

(My plan there was actually to make a little movie of Maryn and Avery doing one of their interpretive dances but I didn't get around to it.)

Maybe I'll concoct a NPP quiz and whoever gets the highest score will win a box of chocodiles or something.

Paul and Linda said...

It has been fun to eavesdrop on your thoughts, Mark ! I feel that I have gotten to know and appreciate you much better thru your posts.

Haven't agreed w/everything; haven't disagreed with much, and ROFL more often than not ! I raise my Diet-Rite Tangerine in tribute to my favorite Norseman (or contribute a basket of Norse pennies, or whatever the explanation is for this title ! ) and his year of entertainment and provoking thoughts !

Shalee said...

HMMM, if your blog is a toddler, so is my son....not so sure how I feel about that. Norse Penny and Hadley are getting older way too fast!

Paul and Linda said...

I just realized I must have won because a box of chocodiles arrived in Thursday's mail ! (Thanks to your very lovely Mother who honors your pledges !)