Monday, September 8, 2008

Don't You Hang Up On Me

Ever notice how unrealistic phone conversations are in the movies? Specifically, have you ever noticed how rarely characters say "goodbye?" Seriously, whether it's a spy thriller or a chick flick, people will just make their last statement ("Tell Colonel Brasstacks I need to speak with him." or "Yes, Brick, I love you with all my heart too!") and then they just hang up. No goodbye, no "see ya later," nothing. This has always bothered me because - who does that?

In the world I live in, ending phone conversations usually involves really highly developed rituals -- me giving reasons why I "have to let you go," repeating the same "I'm done with this conversation" signal phrases, remembering one last thing, starting to end the call but then talking about something else for another ten minutes, etc. And, if nothing else, my conversations always, always end with "Goodbye," "Bye," "talk to you later," "See ya," or some variation thereof. Why don't movie characters believe in this? Don't any of the other characters feel weird or offended by being hung up on at the end of every conversation?



I know, I know. I'm being nitpicky. People don't say goodbye in movies for the same reasons every man is handsome, every woman is stacked, and problems are always resolved in roughly two hours. It's the movies! I wouldn't want that to change. I'm all for escapism and fantasy. Movies are a transportive experience and if the price I have to pay for that escape is people not saying goodbye, I can handle that.

Still, there are certain things that happen in movies I think need to be retired simply because I think they've either become useless cliches or because they just. don't. happen.

First of all, who reads in the tub? Often in movies, we see characters (usually female, always nubile) lounging around in the tub, reading, contemplating their romantic future, swathed in bubbles. Who even regularly takes baths besides five year olds? I was thinking about this last night because I took a bath. I was a little under the weather yesterday and I felt achy so I drew a tub full of blazing hot water and got in. I am six foot one. The tub in our house is approximately three foot eight. I might as well have boiled some water on the stove and wedged myself into the pot on the range. (There's an image, eh?) I mean, it was alright. I soaked my head and relaxed for a while but eventually I had to unfold myself from the yoga/contortionist pose I'd gotten myself into and let blood flow back into my legs again. My point is, this was not a place I'd relax and certainly not a place I would read. Your hands would be wet and, therefore, the pages would be wet. Not to mention what the humidity in the room would do to the pages of your book. (I sound really anal. I know. Sorry.) Admittedly, I'm neither female nor nubile but still, I don't think it's something most people do on any kind of a regular basis.



Other things that just don't really happen and ought to be retired are:

Love/lust at first sight that actually develops into a meaningful, long-term relationship. (The awful, meet-cute barf-fest that comes to mind is the Ashton Kutcher/Amanda Peet vehicle A Lot Like Love. You know it had to be bad. It takes a lot to make me dislike anything involving Amanda Peet.)



Family reunions that are either edenically blissful (Dan In Real Life) or hellishly awful (Home for the Holidays). C'mon, let's be real. I've been to some spectacular family reunions and at least one that was a suckfest on ice (even though it was very hot there) but none of them ever lived up to what the movies regularly present as real.




The Wacky Roommate. I've only had traditional college roommates during one period in my life, the first couple of years in Pocatello at ISU but I did serve a mission and, therefore, had a constant roommate (or four) for two years straight. Some were cool, some were annoying, none were "wacky." For better or worse, none were Spike from Notting Hill.



The Magical Negro.



The Crotchety Old Person With A Heart Of Gold.



Mike Meyers.

10 comments:

Dan said...

I seem to remember that each reunion had its own hellish, and then edenistic moments. That could have just been me though. If we could get Mike Meyers from the early to mid nineties back, than I'd be ok with him sticking around a bit longer.

Jennifer said...

I have to agree with previous poster. Mike Myers was once awesome. I make it a point to say one of these lines at least once a day: "Harriet. Harry-ette. Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis" or "We have a piper down, I repeat, a piper is down!"

Anonymous said...

Hahahaa...Mike Meyers. I love this post! I take baths all the time though, and I know quite a few ladies (and even tall men) who do too. And I read in the bath....I know it's terrible for the book, so I only take D.I. books in there and not beautiful copies of beautiful books, I promise! I don't usually have a huge amount of bubbles covering all the R-rated places, though. I think that's something developed especially for movieland. :)

Mark Brown said...

Okay, I've gotta give it up to both Dan and Jennifer. Despite Austin Powers 3 and the Love Guru, we will always have "Look at the size of that boy's heed. It's got its own weather system. It's like Sputnik - spherical but quite pointy in parts."

Suzy said...

And don't forget the hyper-hypo from his SNL days. He was quite fine in his time...but Love Guru is definitely a low point.

And I've got a possible solution for your problem with people not saying goodbye on the phone...just don't answer the phone in the first place. hee hee.

Mark Brown said...

That's a whole other post. Don't get me started on you phone-a-phobe people. You don't want me to open that can of "What's Wrong With You?"

Ang said...

Reading in the bath: magazines, especially the New Yorker, although if the article is really long the water gets tepid and that's no fun.

A favorite "Ax Murderer" scene:
Myers: "I'm a human blanket!"
Nancy Travis: "Get off!"
(Both my husband and I have used the preceding exchange to comic effect quite frequently, and for years).

Phone Etiquette: Nothing more jarring than having someone end a phone call w/o saying a proper good bye. Can cast a pall over the entire day. And yes, those of you who don't answer your phone when you're home--whaa? I'm physically incapable of not rushing, lurching, barreling down the stairs to answer a ringing phone, and it's usually a 10 year old girl wanting to talk to my daughter.

Finally, movie cliches that must go: The amazingly gorgeous woman in love with, or married to, the incredibly shlubby or geeky man. Recent case in point is Anne Hathaway and Steve Carrell in _Get Smart_ (which also brings up the age difference squickiness), but remember back in the day, the cute women who'd be in love with Martin Short or John Candy (and wasn't Annette Bening married to Dan Ackroyd in _The Great Outdoors_?? Ummm, yeah.)

That is all . . .

Shalee said...

Love this post....needed a good laugh today- Mark delivers.

Paul and Linda said...

I have never had much use for Mike (or Ashton Kutcher, either), but a hot bath and a good book ... yesseree !

Mark Brown said...

What Angela described about the schlubby guy being with the hot girl pretty much sums up all of CBS's programming over the last ten years - Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Still Standing, Yes Dear - I could go on.

It doesn't matter how funny, clever, charming a guy is -- no one who looks like Leah Remini is going to hook up with someone who looks like Kevin James. Simply won't happen.