Monday, September 15, 2008

Post Tornado

The footage you see in the first part of this story was shot about a hundred yards from our house. I was blissfully watching Red River with John Wayne when the power went out on Saturday night at about 9:30 and the girls were already in bed. They came out of their room scared so we lit some candles and I got a blanket and pillows so I could sleep on their floor. Suzanne was visiting her sister's house and had no idea anything was going on.

No power that night. No power yesterday. No power this morning. Reading by candlelight, showering in the dark, eating sandwiches, moving all our food to a neighbor's fridge, no tv, no dvd, no Internet. It's been an interesting couple of days.

Good ol' DTE had better start earning their keep right quick and get our power back on by the end of the day or there will be some very irate phone calls made. Oh yes, I said irate.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Incredible. I am glad you and your girls are OK. Beyond your safety, a couple of blessings to count... you still have water and it's September. We had a terrible windstorm here over a year ago in the middle of winter (granted pretty mild living in the Northwest, but chilly and wet nonetheless!) and we were without power and water for five days... we felt like pioneers!!! Your neighborhood is pretty - minus the overblown trees and crushed cars....

Suzy said...

I still can't believe a tornado touched down around the corner from us, and we were generally unscathed. It could have been much worse, and I'm counting our blessings.

Paul and Linda said...

That's a little too close for comfort !!!

(Two disclaimers to the Ch. 7 action news interviews :
1. There are people in MI who know that to say "I seen" is not correct Ingles".
2. DTE had not better be "standing by" when there are paying customers waiting for their power resumption. )

Unknown said...

Wow! Glad you're all safe. Hope you have go-juice very soon.

Mark Brown said...

Linda, you took the words right out of my mouth. I thought those two same things as I watched the coverage.

Erin said...

do the peeps who say "I seen" work at "Ford's"??!! hee hee! :)