Friday, September 26, 2008

Sing a Song of Sad, Sad Sixpence


My friend and fellow grad student Mike M. created a meme on his blog and tagged me with it. Since I love to propagate, I'm passing it along:

"Pick the six saddest songs you can think of, list the titles, and pick what you think is the saddest line from each."

So here are my six with the accompanying sad, sad lyrics -

"Circle" by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians.

When I'm all alone it's
the best way to be.
When I'm by myself
nobody else can say goodbye.

Everything is temporary anyway.


"Turpentine" by Brandi Carlile.

I started losing sleep and gaining weight
And wishing I was was ten again
So I could be your friend again

These days we go to waste like wine
That's turned to turpentine
It's six AM and I'm all messed up
I didn't mean to waste your time
So I'll fall back in line


"Pretty Angry" by Blues Traveler.

I wish i walked on water
Pulling rabbits from my sleeve
Guessing cards and saving everyone
I wish i still believed
Oh i wish that i believed


"Only A Dream" by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

The day you left home you got an early start
I watched your car back out in the dark
I opened the door to your room down the hall
I turned on the light
And all that I saw
Was a bed and a desk and couple of tacks
No sign of someone who expects to be back
It must have been one hell of a suitcase you packed


"The Best of You" by Foo Fighters.

Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Are you gone and onto someone new?


"Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam" by The Vaselines.

Jeeze, do you need to hear the lyrics? Isn't the title depressing enough?


I promise to make my next post much more cheerful. For now though, pass the Kleenex and Lexapro.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

I only know the Vaselines' song from the Nirvana cover on Unplugged, but, god, what a depressing song.

*And* you forgot to tag anyone to keep my precious little meme going. MB, I don't think you want me for a sunbeam.