Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another Historic Day

In the spirit of recording historic occasions here on my blog, I want to tell you about what happened today. Yes, something historic. Something that happened for the very first time. Something I'll remember forever.

One of my students stole from me.

This coming September will mark my two year anniversary here at Young Detroit Builders and, in all that time, I've seen computer equipment stolen, cell phones taken, CDs and DVDs mysteriously disappear, a catalytic converter nearly stolen right out from underneath a coworker's van, countless unreturned pencils and pens, and even a case of Mountain Dew taken and hidden in nearby bushes but no one has ever taken anything from me. Until today.

My breakfast usually consists of a granola bar, a Nutrigrain bar, and an apple. It's not much but it's reasonably healthy and keeps me full until lunch time most days. Like every other day, I left them sitting in the corner of my desk, more or less hidden from the students by my computer monitor. It's rude to eat in front of people and I taught first thing this morning so I was waiting until after class to chow down.

Several times during class I had to leave - to make copies, to check on details about our afternoon trip to the public library, etc. I do it all the time. I treat my students as adults who can be left alone for five minutes and usually it inspires them to behave responsibly. I find that people generally live up to your expectations of them, whatever they may be.

Anyway, just as I was letting that group of students out, I noticed the two bars were gone. I moved every scrap of paper on my desk, checked all my drawers, looked in the office next door, asked the secretary if I'd left them on her desk, checked the spare office in the back of my classroom where I keep reading assignments, etc. I wanted to make sure I didn't just forget them somewhere before I got all hot under the collar about it and started accusing people.

They were nowhere to be found. I didn't misplace them anywhere.

I had that same group of students an hour later so I walked into the classroom, shut the door, explained what I was missing and that it happened during their class. I then told them I'd be next door in the neighboring office for five minutes and that when I came back, my bars had better be on my desk. I didn't threaten them with consequences or throw a fit. I just made it short and direct. I left and when I came back there were no bars but there was a dollar bill and a quarter sitting on my desk.

Sigh.

Again, quickly and directly, I told them I thought it was pathetic to steal from someone who worked every day to help them. I left it at that and we moved on with the lesson.

This may be the first time a student has stolen from me but YDB has been pilfering from my soul almost since day one.

6 comments:

Suzy said...

Good grief, I thought you were going to say your phone or your iPod or something. Even as paltry as a few bars are, it's the principal of the stupid thing and it sucks, it really, really does. My question is, why'd they bother to leave the apple? If they'd just ask, I'd have given them the whole box.

Mark Brown said...

They left the apple because it would be harder to hide and, besides, my students don't eat fruits or vegetables if they can avoid it.

Yeah, the irony is that I give away my bars once or twice a week because a student simply asks if he can have them.

Dan said...

Why do I have to be one of the robbers? I don't appreciate the insinuation and you can expect to hear from my attorney.

brownbunchmama said...

Makes you wonder if they get anything to eat before they come but it certainly doesn't excuse the behavior...especially when you give them away if they ask. yeesh!

Paul and Linda said...

Handled that well, Dr. Phil ! A little guilt, a little crack in the repentance door big enough to slip a dollar in, a little "chalk it up to the city" as in : "Why the heck would this kid not swipe two measly bars when his mayor would steal 9 million bucks ?" And a BIG don't do it again short speech. Yup, handled that well !

Ang said...

Ugh, that's tough. And it makes it even sadder in a way that the culprit left you a dollar and some change--well, not sadder, really. Just more poignant.

I had lunch yesterday with a co-worker from ten years ago. We both taught high school seniors. She's still there and I've (obviously) moved on. She asked me when/if I'll ever go back to high school teaching, and I was a little ashamed to say that I didn't think I could do it again, mostly because of the emotional toll it exacted. It was rewarding to teach high school, lots of days, but many days I felt so incredibly sapped and spent. So I hear ya on the soul pilfering--but I'm also glad that you're willing to take on such a tough job, as I'm sure your students are, too, evidenced by their rudimentary attempt at repentance. Stay strong.