Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Red Letter Day for Bicycling

Well, I must say Idaho really put on a show for us over the last ten days. I don't think I've seen a clearer, milder stretch of weather in my life. The skies were ridiculously blue, the breezes were soft and cool, the mountains in the distance -- they've been sorely missed. (The tallest hill within 50 miles of where I live is actually a landfill that's been covered with sod. It ain't the Tetons, you know?) The food has been good and the company excellent -- and really, what else can you ask for?

But at the same time, we're all anxious to get home. We'll head out tomorrow morning around nine and make for Cheyenne, Wyoming. The next night's goal is Des Moines, Iowa. After that, home. We miss Suzane and she misses us. It will be good to be back with her.

The best and most important aspect of this entire two week trip is summed up right here:




I'm really glad the girls got to come and make important, lasting memories with my folks. The sand dunes, riding the lawn mower, Grandma curling their hair, dinner with family, playing with Buck the Doofus, snow cones on Main Street, Big Juds, etc. They'll remember parts of this trip for the rest of their lives.

One other thing made this trip and this day (Wednesday, July 16) pretty important:





Our very own Maryn Elizabeth Brown finally learned to ride a bike without training wheels. You may think, "Big deal. Everybody learns eventually." But the thing is, you only learn once. It's one of the few things that you can only do one time in your life (because, like they say, once you learn, you never forget.) So I thought it was kind of a historic moment for Maryn. She'll be able to ride a bike for the next fifty years and it will be because of what happened tonight in the church parking lot two blocks from my parents' house. Kinda cool, I think. I'm very proud of her. (Even though the whole reason we went to the church in the first place was because she was grasping at straws, trying to avoid taking a bath and going to bed. I'm glad I didn't go all hard-core on her and make her go inside.)

Anyway, good night. I'll post again next week once we've crossed the wilderness (Wyoming) and the rest of the country. See you then.

3 comments:

Suzy said...

Leave it up to Dennis to trick out his lawnmower with a seat in the front for his grandkids to ride. Love it!

Also, I can't believe I missed it! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. She looks huge on that bike.

Anonymous said...

Steve Jones helped to teach me to drive in that very same church parking lot. Ahhh...memories. I'm glad you had a great trip! In other news, it looks like I'll be an hour away from Detroit in October for a week. I'll be in Ann Arbor for a workshop. Woohoo!

melanie said...

Have a safe trip! Congrats to Maryn on her first solo bike flight!