Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Things You Get To Do At Grandma's

There are certain things that for reasons of time, practicality, or just plain lack of energy/desire don't get done when it's just us and the kids. Having a lemonade stand is one of them. We don't know the people in our neighborhood well enough to want them pulling up to our yard and offering our kids money, you know? Plus, there's the "Dad, why isn't anyone stopping?" frustration plus preparation, clean-up, etc. When I write it out like that, they all sound like pretty lame reasons for not letting our kids test out their entrepreneurial skills. Nevertheless, those things that don't get done at home are often the things that get done at Grandma's house.

Witness below:




Between my dad, my brother, two of my dad's co-workers, and me (I was thirsty after all that work setting up the table), the girls made eight bucks. They were pretty pleased and it was certainly cute.

On the cancer front, today has been a pretty rough day. Chemo is accumulative and so while Mom doesn't feel too much on Mondays when she actually gets the treatment, by Wednesday, she feels as though gravity has increased by about ten times. Aunt Nan and cousin Susan came over this morning and while they talked, I watched my mom sink lower and lower into the couch until she was full on laying down with a blanket over her and her eyes shut. Once they left, she went to bed and stayed there until about 6 p.m. Even now, she's wobbly and fatigued.

On the one hand, I'm so glad I can be out here to see her and talk to her face to face. On the other hand, it's a terrible feeling to see her feeling so poorly and being able to do virtually nothing about it. Bleh.

Anyway, Suzane left this morning at 5:30 on the Salt Lake Express. It wasn't a good experience but I'll leave it to her to blog about the details.

1 comment:

Paul and Linda said...

I see that Ave has conquered the Day-side squint, but not so Maryn ! Very cute little sales-girls !

Sorry to read that your Mom is feeling the full-on hit now. We continue to keep her in our prayers.