Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer in the City

Ugh. It's a hot, no-nothing day here at Young Detroit Builders. It's in the high 80s again and it's plenty humid.

I have a group of students that has already taken and passed the GED but, for bureaucratic reasons, they're still at the school. I don't have much left to teach them that they actually want to learn. They know they need to be here to get their hours but they also know they've accomplished the whole purpose of being here. So it's kind of a messed-up limbo situation.

They're good kids for the most part and are staying out of trouble. As long as they're able to text and listen to their headphones, they're content. I've made them do a little work but have mostly just spent my time helping those who need guidance in navigating college websites, financial aid terms, and composing proper e-mails to send to potential professors.

But still, do you know how slowly the day goes when there isn't a specific goal to accomplish outside of just getting through to quitting time? I feel like I've been here long enough for it to be tomorrow already and it's not even two o'clock yet. If I could leave the students in the computer lab by themselves, I totally would. I'd walk down to the corner store, buy myself an icy diet Pepsi, come back, sit down by a fan in my classroom, and read.

Alas, such is not for me. I have to be here to make sure no one is logging on to "black-booty.com" or whatever. I get all the good jobs. The thing that frustrates me is that the Social Studies teacher is supposed to have them right now but he just said, "Go on and get out of here." Fine for him but, since I'm the steward the computer lab, it leaves me stuck here playing baby sitter while he just sits up there not doing anything and I've already taught the students for my block today. Sigh. Grr. Hmm. Maybe Mr. Booker and I will have to chat.

2 comments:

Captain Admiral said...

Oh, man, black-booty.com is my absolute FAVORITE...
There's no way I would have passed my finals without it.

Paul and Linda said...

I used to teach with a fan in my classroom, (figured I needed one !) and it was blowing directly at me !
"Why can't it blow on us, too ?" the sweaty little six year olds asked .
My answer : "This classroom is not a democracy, Boys and Girls ! Look it up. "