Thursday, May 15, 2008

Status Symbols

When I taught college, one of the larger assignments in English 102 was the ethnography, which was a study of a subculture. The students had to choose a discrete, identifiable group (skate park rats, Campus Christians, the Red Hat Society, Saturday morning hackey sack players, competitive kite flyers, whatever) and study their culture. What were their rituals, customs, modes of dress, slang, expectations, etc? What sorts of things do they find funny? What kinds of behaviors are considered admirable or uncool? Are there initiation rites one has to go through to belong to the group? Do they have a geographic territory? Are there leaders and followers? How can you tell?

The students had a couple of weeks to observe, take field notes, and then boil it all down to a 7-10 page paper. It was always one of my favorite assignments because even though I'd usually get a load of uninspired stuff, there would always be one or two really interesting papers each semester that would teach me something entirely new and I loved that.

Anyway, one of the questions students were to consider was "What are some of your group's status symbols?" The things we place value on reveal a lot about us, I think. I've always been a big believer in the idea that we make time for what's important, we find money for the things we really want, and "you will always gravitate toward that which you secretly most love."

So, as I was thinking about this on the drive to work the other morning, I tried to list some of the status symbols I remember being important at different times in my life:

When I was on my mission, it was all about the shiny shoes, the right tie, and starched shirts. If you served as an AP or if you baptized 5 or more people in a month, you got to pick a tie out of the President's personal collection. Missionaries would pull out their "Prez tie" to show off to others.



Where I work, it's all about cell phones - the newest, the thinnest, the loudest ring tone, the fanciest built-in camera, the best videos saved, etc.

In junior high, it was all about the T & C Surf Design t-shirts. They were something like 25 bucks a piece and this was in 1986. (That's a lot for a t-shirt, isn't it?) The rich kids who lived on the hill had them, not many other people did. They were right up there with Guess jeans and Benneton shirts and Swatch watches.



In my ward, it seems to be all about big ol' SUVs and big ol' houses - at least in the Canton part. One family in our ward actually has a library in their house complete with the rolling shelf ladder.



In high school, it was things like rodeo belt buckles, big Ford trucks, and ski trips.

In the comic book world (at least when I was involved in it), it was first edition first issues. I have the original Dark Knight four issue miniseries by Frank Miller but they're all second and third editions and, therefore, not worth as much monetarily or culturally.



In grad school, it was all about publication - especially in journals that people have actually heard of. When Maura Payne got a poem accepted to the Beloit Poetry Journal (which, believe it or not, is a journal people have heard of - poetry people anyway), the rest of us pretty much greened right up with envy.

Anyway, I think stuff like that is interesting. What about you, my loyal 5 readers? Any status symbols you can think of?

14 comments:

Dan said...

I don't know if i'm on the radar with this. One symbol that has impressed me, although it does not always corespond with affluence, is rough hands. Weird I know, but after I shake hands with somebody with rough hands, I realize that person worked their guts out for everything they have and they deserve it all.

Mark Brown said...

Or it could mean they have leprosy. Which is not a high status thing at all.

Dan said...

I think there are a lot of little Mormon women things. Around here I notice it's how your home is decorated, if it has the cutest new things, the nice manicure, trendy clothes...Women are so lame :)

Random side note...you mentioned your ward takes in some of Canton. One of my old roommates was from there. You don't by chance know the Sanders family, do you?

Shalee said...

That was me posting, by the way. I didn't notice I was logged in as Dan....sorry :)

Captain Admiral said...

One of the most puzzling and frightening and downright sad status symbols is the Tiny Dog.

I work at an airport and there is a 'no pets' rule but people who have tiny dogs (thing Paris' Tinkerbell) ignore the rule with abandon and overflowing attitude. I actually heard some snarky, fifties-ish lady in gold lame pants and a Cosby sweater tell the security officer that her dog is not a dog, it's a member of her family. She refused to take the dog outside.

I also am confident that the fancy-shmancy bag and collar that tiny, quivering lap dog had are worth more than I'll make in a month. Ugh.

Hey, Gold Lame Pants Lady, what happened to you that you prefer the company of a timid, useless rat over the company of walking, talking human beings? Yeesh.

Paul and Linda said...

First to Shalee ...we know the Sanders family very well. There were two girls and a brother. Which of the girls did you room with ?
Secondly, to the status question ... when I was a girl, it was a Judy Bond blouse with your name embroidered on the collar worn with a Pendleton sweater and reversible pleated skirt even if it was the only outfit you owned ! I have noticed others ... a letter jacket hung with 1,000 spanish general type medals, birkenstock shoes worn all seasons with and w/o socks, "what would Jesus do "rubber bracelets and CTR rings, and of course, a convertible, a red convertible, of almost any make !
Now, THAT is status !

Jennifer said...

Who has a library in their house? I really want to know.

In the stay-at-home but also very worldly mom world (I do not count myself as a member so this is just an observation) the symbols are the perfect haircut, Kate Spade purses and some kind of fancy sandals. I haven't actually gotten close enough to their feet to check out what kind they are.

In thinking about your post, I don't identify with any groups. I am starting to worry about myself now. I don't really belong to a group at church, in my neighborhood or anywhere. I'm not gay or a feminist or in a garden club. Is there something wrong with me? Thanks, Mark, for giving me something else to worry about today.

melanie said...

hmmm... interesting thoughts.
I totally agree that you do make time/money/importance for what you value (secretly or not!)

I see where you live as a status symbol (here it would be Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Biltmore etc) for people in Arizona. Then within that subculture, I see the expensive bags, name-brand pants, and expensive haircuts.

Suzy said...

I remember Esprit bags being pretty important when I was about 12.

Nowadays, it does seem like women compete with each other for status...who's the skinniest or smartest at book club or craftiest at enrichment or has had their children naturally or not. I don't know why we can't all just be who we are without trying to be better than the next. (And Jen, it's the Pearce's with the library...did you go to the Christmas progressive dinner? Holy crap. I was astounded.)

I don't think groups or ethnographies are necessary in the big scheme of thing regardless of the fact that I know they exist.

Mark Brown said...

Jennifer,

Are you kidding? I just read your post on World of Warcraft and I'd bet that's got to be one of the most easily definable subcultures around. Aren't there certain kinds of accomplishments/powers/scores/levels on WoW that are really desirable?

Aren't some figures/players more impressive than others? Aren't there kinds of acceptable and unacceptable behavior and communication in that world?

Don't even get me started on the slang and lingo.

You're very much in a subculture - it's just kind of invisible to those who aren't in the know.

Jennifer said...

Oh Yea. Duh. You are totally right. I can be defined by a video game. How Molly of me.

Shalee said...

I roomed with Christine Sanders (Young)...

Karen said...

So... status symbols at my son's high school: North Face Jackets and Backpacks, where you eat lunch and if you've gotten high or had sex in your car during lunch break. Too shocking for you young parents??!!

Status symbol at my high school in the 80's - Faded chew can circles on the rear pocket of your jeans - even the prom queen chewed. Lovely.

Darlene said...

I think it shows how much status I lack because I have no bloomin' idea. Although I would feel pretty darn spiffy if I got invited to the Mormon Arts Retreat (By Invitation Only and Highly Secretive).