Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I Am Iron Mark

After several months of anticipation, I finally made it to Iron Man last night. Brother-in-law Ben and I snuck away for a 9:20 showing at the AMC 20 and, after a solid half hour of previews (which I love), I was treated to two hours of Robert Downey Jr. being clever and his metal suit being totally awesome. Yes, the 14 year old in me was alive and well last night as Tony Stark outraced fighter jets, pounded through stone walls, did away with evil terrorists, and fought a very bald and weirdly menacing Jeff Bridges.

I thought Dana Stevens' line from the Slate.com review was clever: "Iron Man's secret weapon dwells underneath the high-tech robot suit and the whiz-bang special effects: We can win the war on terror, the movie suggests, with the force of Robert Downey Jr.'s personality alone."

It was an origin story and those are notoriously short on action but the action we did get was first rate. The showdown with Jeff Bridges as the Iron Monger at the end was worth the price of admission. More than that though, the characters were charming and just human enough to invite personal investment from the audience. I enjoyed it a lot and its definitely got a place waiting on my shelf when its released on DVD. (It will fit nicely next to Hellboy, Superman, Batman Begins, Flash Gordon, and the rest.)


(Tony Stark suiting up in his first version of the armor. He uses it to escape from terrorists who are trying to force him to build a missile for them.)


(Fixing up the new suit. This scene was filmed in my garage next to the hovercraft and just left of the pneumatic harpoon gun.)



(With a nice coat of Turtle Wax.)



(Jeff Bridges/Obadiah Stane/The Iron Monger)



(A little Robert Downey Jr. cheesecake shot specifically for Shauna. The man is no Viggo Mortenson, apparently, but I guess he'll do in a pinch.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Iron Man! It was too too wonderful and I'm already thinking about the sequel. Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. made a good thing great, in my ever so humble opinion...

Shalee said...

Dan and I were just discussing over dinner the fact that we had not yet seen the geeked-out post ' Iron Man' blog post....glad to see that you made it. I know that you have been looking forward to this for a good year at least. When we came to visit you when we picked up Hadley, you had a picture of the armor printed off at your desk and were getting all giddy at the thoughts of the cinematic experience. Yay for your fourteen-year-old self :)

lateshoes said...

I loved it so much. So embarrassingly much.