Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm A Sucker For Bee Elements in Design

Linda sent me a link to Laurie R. King's website. I've never read any of her work but she seems like a charming person based on her blog posts and I am also interested in Sherlock Holmes pastiche books so her Mary Russell books seem cool. (And they can't be worse than Caleb Carr's The Italian Secretary -- snoooooooze.) Anyway, as I was rummaging around on her website, I saw that Picador is releasing new editions of some her earlier books. The new versions look great - but then I saw two old versions of the same book and realized how Ms. King must be doing back flips over the recent redesign.

See the difference design (good and bad) makes:

The first version which LRK describes as "awful, just terrible, ugly and creepy and jumbled."



She asked for a redesign and got this which she found to be a great improvement.



But now, look at this. Even the "much improved" last version pales in comparison. This cover is laid out and colored so beautifully, I want to eat it with a spoon. Or buy the book. One of the two.

2 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

The cover on mine is not behind doors #1,2,or 3 ! and literally "pales" in comparison with the very English foggy day on the moors with the houses of the thatched roof variety. Definetly not of the spoon variety. Now between the covers is the treat !

Suzy said...

You've always had a thing for signs and symbols. Now it's bees, but do you remember the fish fascination? Or Chinese letters? Or Mars? Or typewriters? What does it mean?!?